Monday, March 10, 2014

repentance and the Atonement


Jared gave a talk about repentance and the Atonement to the primary kids on Sunday.  We made an analogy to him getting stitches and healing.  Here it is:

"Through the Atonement of Christ, I can repent and be forgiven of my sins"

When I was 4.5 years old, I had just learned how to ride a bike.  One day I had an accident and was not wearing a helmet.  I got a big gash on my forehead and had to get stitches.  It was not fun to get stitches, but I am glad that my head was able to heal.  I always try to wear a helmet when I ride a bike now to protect my head if I fall.

When we sin, it is like getting hurt, except that it is our spirits that need to be healed.  Repentance is like getting stitches.  It may hurt, but it heals us from the bad things we do or the wrong choices we sometimes make.  The Atonement of Christ is what allows us to be forgiven of our sins.  When we put on the armor of God each day, like putting on a helmet before we ride a bike, we can be protected.  When we read the scriptures, pray, and keep the commandments, the Atonement of Christ works in our lives.

Alma 34:8  And now, behold, I will testify unto you of myself that these things are true.  Behold, I say unto you, that I do know that Christ shall come among the children of men, to take upon him the transgressions of his people, and that he shall atone for the sins of the world; for the Lord God hath spoken it.

I know that through the Atonement of Christ, we can be forgiven of our sins.  He died for you and me and for all of us.  He loves us.


Jared did a good job on his talk!  We even showed the pictures of his head.



The interesting thing that I would add is that Jared couldn't get those stitches in on his own.  He needed a doctor's help - just as repentance doesn't work without the Master Healer.  It's also interesting to think about the scar.  Jared still has that, although the pain is gone and his head is healed.  Some things just leave a scar on us - we never forget about it, but the pain can be healed, if we allow repentance, forgiveness, and the healing power of the Atonement to work in our lives.  
  

3 comments:

Debora said...

Awesome talk- tell Jared "good job" from Baba and Papa!!! And "good job" Annie- you did marathon-blogging-catch-up-posts ;) You guys (and a couple of gals) :) are amazing with all of your family activities. On the BB play time- Annie now you know how frustration felt for Ron- but he was "bold enough" to speak his mind- hehe Maybe his solution was just to "be the coach" :)

Krista said...

What a wonderful testimony that he shared! Thanks for sharing it on your blog!

Debora said...

PS I may have to use this same talk some time. Remember I have the ability to copy and paste- hehe and I am in primary now :)