Wednesday, February 20, 2008

When Mom is sick...

Well, I'm sick. Probably the flu -at least it's not the stomach flu though. I've been sick in bed since Monday. I was just talking to my parents on Sunday- the question came up, "Are you healthy?" "Yep, we're healthy." Well, the very next day, I woke up and my throat was scratchy. By 1:30 in the afternoon, I had a fever, my chest was burning, and my body was achy. I had to go to bed. I've pretty much been in bed since then, except to feed the boys breakfast and lunch and change Jared's diaper a few times (he has a rash now). So what happens when Mom is sick? Well, then there's very minimal supervision. The 4-year old is looking after the 21 month old. They actually didn't do too bad. I had to take a picture of what it looked like Tuesday afternoon. There were grapes and cheerios all over the floor and they turned the living room into a playground. Oh well. Dad came home from work and cleaned it up. I didn't have any energy to deal with it. Notice the boys are still in their pajamas...


Today was a different story. The morning went okay. They watched about 5 videos in a row. Nathan figured out how to work the DVD player. I was able to rest here and there, only having to get up and break up a few skirmishes. By lunchtime, everyone was cranky. I yelled at Nathan for not being able to figure out how to put Jared's diaper in the trash. And then he didn't want what I gave him for lunch. (You don't mess with a sick Mom...) I sent him to time-out, but didn't have the energy to stand at the door and make sure he couldn't get out. So he came out crying, "I don't want to be in time-out!" And I was thinking, "I do want to be in time-out! So I shut myself in my room. Anyway, Nathan was crying, I was crying, and so I called Alex home from work. He helped them finish lunch and put them down for a nap, allowing me to get some undistracted rest. And when I woke up in the afternoon, I felt pretty good.
Anyway, it's not fun for anyone when Mom is sick.

4 comments:

Kathryn said...

Ugh, being a sick (or tired or hungry for that matter) mom is no fun! Hang in there, and get yourself healthy!

Emma said...

It's no fun to be sick, especially when you have two boys to take care of too. Get better soon!

Mamapierce said...

Oh, you poor thing! I hope you are feeling better soon! Aren't husbands wonderful? Hooray for Alex coming home to help out. :o)

Carrie said...

I totally feel for you...I am sooo sorry. I was sick with the flu about 2 weeks ago, but thankfully it was on the weekend and Brian was able to help. I couldn't hold anything down and had zero strength. I don't know what I would have done if Brian wasn't there. I am glad Alex was able to come home and help you!