Monday, May 21, 2012

benefit of funerals

While the occasion is a somber one, funerals do have one benefit.  They provide an opportunity to see family and friends.  I got to meet my new niece Emmy (a week earlier than planned).  It was nice to spend time with all of my sisters as well.  We sang "The Old Rugged Cross" at my grandpa's funeral.  We weren't sure how we'd get through it, but it was much easier with the security and comfort that comes from singing with your siblings.  The funeral service was as good as it could be - a nice tribute to my grandpa's life.  We are grateful for MaryAnn and her strength in this trial.  We love you!  






I also got to tag along with my parents to visit our good friends and next door neighbors, the Jones.  My siblings and I spent half our time over at the Jones.  We had a fence connecting our backyards that was always open, so we'd come and go as we pleased.  (I don't think our moms knew exactly where we were or what we were doing most of the time...)  It was great fun.  Mike and I (and maybe Megan Jones was there too?) had a little wedding ceremony for Audrey and Darren.  We even made them kiss!  They must have been about 2 or 3 years old.

Anyway, it was good to see the Jones again.  Harold is battling cancer, but enduring well.  They have a very inspiring blog about their journey.  They are such a good example of staying faithful amidst whatever trials come along.  What a great family!  Whatever the outcome of this trial, they have been an inspiration to everyone around them.  It was fun to see these "old friends" together again.
 

2 comments:

Debora said...

Some great thoughts and pics., Annie. I'll try to just save them to my computer- if that doesn't work very well- you'll be getting an email :)

Melissa said...

I'm glad you got to see your family- I agree that funerals can be hard, but it is nice to bring everyone together and have an eternal perspective about it. I still cry like a baby though- every time.