Friday, April 21, 2023

April Activities

Shortly after returning from Spring Break, Weston and Savannah had their school jog-a-thon.  They both did well.  I'm not sure the distance of each lap and they had to stop each time around to get a mark on a paper, so it's hard to judge their performance based on the number of laps.  They ran for 30 minutes without stopping to walk, so that's great! They were worn out at the end of it. 


Savannah made an Easter decoration at Activity Days.  Apparently it's not edible, but it looks yummy! 


Alex was still in Scotland for General Conference weekend, but we enjoyed watching without him.  I had my friend Nicole over for the Saturday afternoon and evening sessions of conference.  We watched a March Madness game in between and had dinner.  Alex did check in via video chat and took me on his walk with him.  


Alison had her baby, their 6th child, on Palm Sunday.  They named her Bethany Ann.  Alison was ready that whole week prior to Sunday for her to come, but I was hoping she'd wait until April since we didn't have a family birthdays in April.  When Bethany was ready, she came quickly on the Sunday before Easter.  She's adorable! 


Savannah has done some fun friend things this month.  She got invited to an ice skating birthday party.  It was her first time trying ice skating - hard, but fun.  Savannah's friends have been scheduling their parties around Savannah.  They know she can't do most party activities on Sundays (the ones that involve businesses), so they have graciously scheduled on Saturdays for her.   

We had our first "fun club" at our house with 7 friends invited over for crafts, snacks, and fun.  They painted rocks this time.  It was a messy activity, but they had a great time!  I was surprised at how many snacks they ate.  They ate all the fruits and veggies and goldfish in the container I provided, and I had to cut some more since not everyone got strawberries.  (They didn't think to share?)  They also had 2 cookies each.  A little while later, they helped themselves to large bowls full of the goldfish out of the box and finished it off (it was a brand new box).  They also helped themselves to full-sized candy bars that they found in the pantry.  I didn't realize they were doing this until it was too late.  Savannah said she tried to tell them not to eat them, but they grabbed them and ran outside...  one girl even helped herself to a package of Ramen noodles - she opened the package and ate it uncooked!  I was really surprised they thought they could grab whatever they wanted without asking. We will have to set some ground rules next time I guess.  They had a lot of fun though!  



Weston and Savannah had a crazy hat and sock day for school.  That's pretty much every day for Weston... but he did add about 4 hats to the mix. 

The kids helped make Easter dinner.  It was a little crazy that day, since we made dinner for 25 people! We provided 4 potato casseroles and 90 rolls.  I didn't take a picture of the rolls that day, but I snapped a picture of the 108 rolls I just made for a missionary zone conference luncheon.  I also made another 36 for guests at our house for dinner.  That's 234 rolls in 11 days - good thing I like making them!


Alex and I got to take a spontaneous trip to see wildflowers at Carrizo Plain National Monument.  Alex had a meeting cancelled for the day, so he suggested we head out to see the flowers.  I was happy to take the day off as well.  We had a long drive to get there and back, but it was good to get away from the normal busyness.  We didn't see very many poppies, but several varieties of wildflowers were in bloom. I loved being out there amongst the flowers in a peaceful setting, with just the "chirpies" doing their thing.  You'll hear them in the videos.  

I have to share one moment from the day.  The only thing that day that I needed to do was pick up Owen from volleyball practice at 5:00pm (Owen rides the bus from school to practice).  We thought we would be back by then, but we lingered in the flowers for longer than we planned.  Anyway, I had mentioned to Jared before leaving where we were going and that he might have to pick up Owen if we weren't back in time.  I told him to watch his phone around 4:45 for a message if we needed him to get Owen.  

We realized that we wouldn't be back in time, and earlier in the afternoon Alex asked if I had messaged Jared.  At that point I said I'd just wait until 4:45 since Jared probably was at track practice.  Well, at about 4:40 I decided to send the message.  However... we had no cell service at that point.  I tried to send, but the message failed.  For the next 10 minutes, I watched for a bar of service, but nothing.  I was getting worried, thinking of Owen being stranded after practice.  At about 4:50, I said a silent prayer asking for just a moment to get a message out.  Right as I said that, I looked down at my phone and saw one bar of service.  I quickly pushed "send" and the message went out to Jared.  I literally had about 20 seconds of service and then we didn't have service for the next 30 minutes.  Jared didn't even have time to reply back within our small window of service, so I wasn't sure he would get Owen, but at least the message went out and I figured it would be okay.  I was grateful for my quickly answered prayer - more evidence of God in addition to all the beautiful flowers from the day (God's paint brush). 
 






No comments: