Thursday, August 17, 2023

Fathers Day

We had omelettes and bacon for breakfast, lasagna for dinner, and Twix cheesecake bars for dessert.    Weston created a dinosaur for Alex, a Bonumpaterutrumsaurus, which means "good father shoveling lizard". 


Owen gave a talk at church and did a great job on that.  He talked about 3 guidelines on what a father should be: an example to follow, a leader and provider in the family, and someone who lifts others burdens.  I love this story he shared for an example of lifting others burdens.

"I am reminded of a personal story that I have had in my life. A couple years ago I had the opportunity to go on a backpacking trip with my 2 older brothers and my dad. We went to Hurricane Deck, 20 miles round trip in 2 days, 2200 feet of elevation gain, and rain and hail. At this time I am around 11 and this is my only my second backpacking trip ever, with my first being a 2 mile round trip with about 0 elevation gain. Now my dad has only heard me talk bad things about this trip but what he doesn’t know is that I had a really impactful experience on fathers. This moment has taught me that my dad could have just taken us on a shorter trail but he didn’t.  He could have carried me the rest of the way because I couldn’t go any farther, but he didn’t. All he did was take enough of my load so that I could make it the rest of the way. He did what he could do so that I could make it to the end of the trip.  He helped and supported me the whole way. This is what all fathers do and what our Heavenly Father does. Our Heavenly Father gives us our trials, our 20 mile backpacking trip with 2200 feet of elevation gain with rain and hail and lifts our burdens just enough so that we can make it through. And he is always there to be that support we need. My dad never left my side and I know that our Heavenly Father will never leave our side."  

No comments: