Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Another wedding!



In a couple of days, we're heading to Houston for my sister Ashley's wedding. I'm so excited and proud of her for finding a good man- Daniel. We met Daniel when we went to Utah for Alison's wedding. From the short time we were with him, we like him. I think he'll make a good addition to the family and I've never seen Ashley more happy.

I hope she doesn't mind me getting into her past a little bit, but I'm so proud that she has turned her life around. She had Jaden when she was in High School and has been single mom-ing it for almost 4 years. In The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, it is quite against the standards to have a baby out of wedlock. For those that do, it is very difficult to gain full fellowship in the church again and many struggle in finding their way back (not because the church is not willing to help, but the individual won't because of shame or lack thereof). Ashley never stopped going to church (even throughout the pregnancy) and little by little has turned her life around. I'm sure she is not proud of this part of her past, but she is a great example of letting the power of the Atonement of Jesus Christ work in her life. She also has shown a great deal of endurance and dedication, not only to living the gospel standards but to her son Jaden. She is a great mom, and I'm so glad she has found a companion. Ashley and Daniel are getting married in the Houston Temple, and Jaden will be sealed to them. (It is quite significant that they are getting married in the temple, as there are strict standards for entrance into the temple.) I am so proud and happy for her. I can't wait...

8 comments:

Melissa said...

What a great story. I'm so excited for her and your nephew. Repentence is never easy and she has shown tremendous dedication and understanding of the Atonement.

Anonymous said...

How very, very neat. I am so excited for you sister. She really has been a true example showing how the Atonement can work in someone's life.

Mamapierce said...

I'm so thrilled for your sister. That is so inspiring for those who have made mistakes in their past - but have been blessed for continuing in the gospel. Kudos to your sis. I'm very impressed. :o)

Coty said...

Oh that is wonderful. I wondered where she had gone and what was going on in her life. I really liked what little I got to know of her; such a sweet person. I love the story and what great faith and testimony she has; what a shining example. congrats to her.

hollister said...

Seeing that life didn't turn out the way I had planned either, I truly admire the courage of all single moms! What a wonderful story :-)

whitney said...

Good for her! That's so exciting that she's met a great guy and they're all getting sealed. Have fun in Houston!

Alabama Apples said...

Hooray for your sister! She must truly be a strong spirit to come through her choices and trials. How wonderful for her (and Daniel) to have found each other! Enjoy your trip!

Melissa said...

That is SO wonderful. I am so excited for her. I always gave her props for when I met her in institute and she kept coming what a strong woman. I don't know if I would be that strong. Tell her congratulations! And the temple too! How perfect!