Friday, February 27, 2009

agency

I thought this was a great verse about our freedom to choose.

A loss of freedom reduces the extent to which we can act upon our choices, but it does not deprive us of our God-given free agency. A woman who has spent much of her life confined to a wheelchair expressed that thought in verse. Annie Johnson Flint writes:

I cannot walk, but I can fly;
No roof can house me from the stars
No dwelling pen me in its bounds,
Nor keep me fast with locks and bars.
No narrow room my thoughts can cage,
No fetters hold my roving mind;
From these four walls that shut me in,
My soaring soul a way can find. . . .
And when the long, long day is done,
I clasp the dearest book of all,
And through the dim, sweet silences,
I hear my Father's accents fall.
Then, though, in chains, yet I am free;
Beyond the pressure of my care,
Above earth's night, my spirit mounts
On eagle wings of Faith and Prayer.
["My Wings," Annie Johnson Flint]

1 comment:

whitney said...

So, so true! So many people assume that our beliefs limit our choices (in what we eat, how we dress, etc...), but really they make us free to follow the Plan of Happiness. What a beautiful poem!