Monday, April 23, 2012

Farewell (for now) Grandpa Bob

I got the sad news that my grandpa passed away yesterday.  I will miss him, but I know that we'll see him again someday.  Grandpa Bob was a good man, a hard worker, and loved God, family, and all those around him.  I have so many happy memories of Grandpa Bob and spending time with family at his "ranch".  I will never forget the singing and sharing around the campfire, meals and holding hands for family prayer, playing golf, yahtzee, paddleboating and canoeing on the lake, fishing, hiking, crossword puzzles, watching the wildlife, and staying in the bunkhouse.  These are a few of my happy memories of Grandpa Bob.  His life was not without struggles, but he lived a good life and left quite a legacy.      

Grandpa Bob       April 11, 1931 - April 22, 2012  

Married Ruth Ann, honorably served in the military, civil engineer


3 children:  Gary, Doug, Debbie       
re-married to Mary Ann


Fun times at Grandpa Bob's Ranch
  (That's me feeding the squirrel in the 1st picture) 
Audrey and I are fishing for golfballs in the canoe!  
The sign we're standing by says, "Reuben's Ranch."  Reuben is Grandpa's dad.  
We loved to play golf on Grandpa's homemade golf course.    

The grandkids (not counting Mary Ann's side).

Great grandkids!  I love the 4 generation photo.

Grandpa designed and built the house on the ranch, garage, and bunkhouse.  He was helping my parents design their home when they retire.  

We had some very spiritual times around the campfire, singing, sharing our thoughts, and expressing gratitude.  It doesn't get much better than that.  Grandpa often wore the Colorado Rockies hat, but he said the CR stood for "Christ Reigns."  Grandpa was a spiritual man with a very emotional side (I don't wonder where I get my emotions from - we all tear up easily just like Grandpa).  He often expressed his love for us and praised God often.  I won't forget his strong hands, well worn with hard work, gripping a golf club, working on crossword puzzles, and holding tightly during family prayer.  He liked for everyone to join hands during prayer.
    

Some of the wildlife at the ranch - the blurry one is a moose!  The sunset on the lake is beautiful.    

great grandkids


(This was the last time I saw him - in July of 2011.)  Thank you for all the happy memories Grandpa Bob.  They'll stay with me forever.  God be with you 'til we meet again...

6 comments:

Mamapierce said...

Very sorry for your loss. My kids have a Grandpa Bob, too, but he passed away before they were born - Bob is my stepdad. It's hard to lose those whom you love.

The Purtle's said...

I am so sorry to hear. But, what an amazing legacy he has left. I can remember your family going to Colorado, even when we were kids!! I remember hearing stories. I hope to one day have my children and grandchildren hold such fond memories with me.

Tyson and Carrie said...

So sorry to hear Annie. I'm so glad you went last July. Loved the pictures, Colorado is beautiful.

Mary Kalree said...

He has left behind a beautiful family! Your post was a very nice tribute to him.

Sharon said...

Thank you for the beautiful tribute to your grandfather and the pictures illustrating his legacy of love. Thank you for taking the time to come by while in Denver. Your visit and the pictures have brought back many wonderful memories.

whitney said...

(((hugs))) sweetie. I'm so sorry.