Monday, September 10, 2012

Teaching the value of work

We tried to get back into our chore routine again today.  The boys had the summer off and time to adjust to school.  Now I'm introducing the routine again.  IT'S A LOT OF WORK.  I forgot how hard it is to supervise the chores and keep everyone on task and semi-on schedule.  It may very well be easier to just do the work by myself.  But that doesn't help teach the value of work and discipline, does it?  It will get better.  I'm sure it will be worth it.

We are already enjoying some of the fruits of our labors from last year's efforts in some areas.  We encouraged Nathan & Jared to get their own breakfast in the morning (cereal, except a couple of mornings where we have eggs or pancakes) and then to make their own lunch for school.  It was such a pain last year to get them to be independent.  Jared still needs more prodding in making his lunch, but Nathan is getting pretty good at it.  I have to peek and make sure they're packing enough things, like a sandwich, and not just pretzels and pudding.  But they're getting the hang of it.  They don't need me much anymore!  They can get up and get dressed, eat breakfast, make their lunch, and walk to school on their own.  I am hoping that the chores and homework and routine will become more natural as well.  It will take time, but I'm determined to make these boys (and girl) into responsible, independent people who know the value of work!  (I think our country could use a few more people like that...)

Here's a peek at our schedule for this afternoon and evening:

3:15-3:30.   Unpack and snack
3:30-4:00.    Homework
4:00-5:15.   Free time
5:15-6:00.    Dinner and clean-up (dishes, table, floor)
6:00-7:15.    Family home evening
7:15-8:00.    Bedtime routine (including a 10 minute toy pick-up)

Tomorrow will be about the same, but no family home evening and extra chores from 4:00-4:30 (putting away laundry and cleaning the bathrooms).

We'll see how this goes!  We're not doing fall soccer, so that helps.

What works well for you?

2 comments:

Jessica McKay said...

Thanks for sharing. I always wonder how things go at other people's houses.
We worked hard in the summer. Every single morning they (meaning all four of my children) worked along side me for an hour, plus piano practicing. School in the past has meant a break from working, but just like you, I wanted to keep helping them learn to work around the house. My new schedule is to have them work on Saturday mornings. Basically they are doing the same jobs they did over one week, in one morning. Not so much fun. It is crazy for me trying to supervise, while practicing piano with the girls. But I am so excited about how far my kids have come in just one summer.
I liked many of the ideas from "The Parenting Breakthough."

Debora said...

After Ashley read this, she put
Jaden on the same schedule :)