Sunday, October 14, 2012

I am a Christian!

With the upcoming election, there has been a lot of focus on The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (the Mormon church) due to Mitt Romney's membership in the church.  The attention has brought on both positive and negative effects in the general image of the church. There are in many ways a lot of positive things being said about our faith.  But of course, there is opposition in all things, and the negative attacks keep coming.  One of the things that bothers me is the continued assertion that Mormons aren't Christian.  I don't understand how one can make that statement, other than just lack of knowledge about the church.  Even the very name of the church, The Church of JESUS CHRIST of Latter-Day Saints, should give you an idea of what we believe in.  I suppose it's our belief in the nature of God that sets apart from the other Christian faiths, but that doesn't change the belief in the same Jesus Christ who came to earth, taught us how to live and established His church, and died on the cross and atoned for our sins.

What is the definition of a Christian, by the way?

Here is one:
Chris·tian  (krschn)
adj.
1. Professing belief in Jesus as Christ or following the religion based on the life and teachings of Jesus.
2. Relating to or derived from Jesus or Jesus's teachings.
3. Manifesting the qualities or spirit of Jesus; Christlike.
4. Relating to or characteristic of Christianity or its adherents.
5. Showing a loving concern for others; humane.
n.
1. One who professes belief in Jesus as Christ or follows the religion based on the life and teachings of Jesus.
2. One who lives according to the teachings of Jesus.



I wish that instead of judging us on our interpretation of the nature of the Godhead, we would be judged on how we are living our lives, on our faith in Jesus Christ, and how we are living the teachings of Jesus. (I know, you're saying we shouldn't judge!  But we do have to make judgments every day, on what type of friends we'll have, what type of environments we'll put ourselves in, etc.  We have to make righteous judgments all the time.)

All of us as Christians have to ask ourselves how well we are living as Christ taught. I love this recent general conference talk by Elder Hales, "Becoming a More Christian Christian."  This articulates well what we believe, but also that there are varying degrees that we as Christians are at in following the teachings of Jesus.  How are you doing in the areas of love, faith, sacrifice, caring, service, patience, peace, forgiveness, conversion, and enduring to the end?

I know there are many ways I can improve, but I have to proclaim that I am a Christian!  And, by the way, there is a Christian candidate for president!  Call him what you want, but don't be afraid to elect someone who is striving to follow the teachings of Jesus.

   



3 comments:

WhiteEyebrows said...

This is ironic because another of my friends - also living in California - posted a very similar post on her Facebook. Are you guys seeing/hearing a lot of negative/non-Christian stuff out there? Been quiet here, but not even the crazy SuperPACs are spending money on ads in TX. :)

I certainly endorse everything you say here, and generally leave it to others to self-describe as they wish. I certainly describe our religion as first-and-foremost "Christian" to those who ask.

On the other hand, I empathize with Christians being a little hesitant to welcome us into the mainstream-use-of-their-word with open arms. To them being Christian means something more specific than it does to others. Some would say that even Catholics aren't "Christians" in their version of the word. More close to home, there are a lot of self-proclaimed Mormons who I wish wouldn't self-identify as such as well. So... I empathize. I just wish people wouldn't make such a big deal out of the debate. It's just semantics, really, and generally I feel like people of faith are getting over labels more and more nowadays to combat what is the greater difficulty we jointly face, which is secularization and religious apathy.

Some faiths may still mutter bigoted words under their breath or behind closed doors, but maybe if we can get our actions moving in the right direction, maybe our words and thoughts will catch up at some point, right?

Krista said...

I love your blog, Annie! You're such a good example to me still. Thanks for all of your uplifting and thought provoking posts. Your boys are cute and I can't wait to see your beautiful girl! I hope you are feeling well!

Lisa said...

This confusion has always perplexed me. Doesn't the name Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints say it all?