Friday, March 8, 2013

our little angel

As I talked about in the previous post, we weren't able to do Savannah's blessing at church.  Usually baby blessings are done on the first Sunday of the month.  The next time we would be able to do that was in May.  As we considered when we would do the blessing, I knew that it would be more special if done with family present.  Since Alex was feeling better on Monday and well enough to do the blessing, we got special permission to do it in our home.  While I was sad that our church family didn't get to witness her blessing, I was so grateful for the opportunity to bless her with my parents there.  It turned out to be a very sweet and sacred thing.  My dad said a prayer, we sang "I am a Child of God", and then Alex gave the blessing.  My dad, a member of the bishopric, and one other ward friend also participated in the blessing. (Here is an additional link if you want to know more about the ordinance.)  

Alex said Savannah was smiling at him during the blessing.  We love our sweet angel.  Alex gave her a name, which she will be known on the records of the church, and a blessing as inspired by the Spirit. A few things that were said were that she has important role to play in our family, that she would be a strength to her brothers, a special mission on this earth, and the opportunity to serve a mission and be married in the temple.

Savannah's first name doesn't have any special significance.  We just thought it was a beautiful name.  Her middle name, Ann, is a family name.  We named her after her great grandmothers on my mom's side, Mary Ann and Ruth Ann.  We actually found out we were expecting Savannah on the day that my Grandpa Bob died.  Mary Ann is Grandpa Bob's wife, our step grandmother technically, but she has always been like flesh and blood to us.  I greatly admire my grandmothers.  Both Ruth Ann and Mary Ann are very strong women, with loving and kind hearts, always willing to serve.  They also both have had some hard trials to endure in this past year and have shown great faith and strength through these trials.  I hope that Savannah will have and develop these qualities as well.  Ann also is significant as it's part of my name and Alex's Aunt's middle name.  Aunt Jane is the last S* girl that was born prior to Savannah.  S* girls don't come along very often!  Aunt Jane also embodies these qualities of service, love, and generosity.  Savannah has some great women that she is named after.  :)    

My mom made Savannah's dress, out of part of my wedding dress.  I love it!       


 




I took so many pictures of Savannah in her dress.  I had a hard time choosing which ones to post.  While I did get some cute grins, I also got several funny expressions, like this one:


and this one:

"Seriously?"    :)


Do you see her legs kicking in this one?




8 comments:

whitney said...

Love her dress! It's so special about it being material from your wedding dress. It's just so much fun to see a little girl S*!

Carrie said...

What a special day and what a cool dress!!! We're so glad we were able to see everyone!!!

alanna said...

So sweet. Love the dress idea. I'm still loving that you have a girl now. :)

Emma said...

What a beautiful dress, and little girl. Melanie's middle name is also Ann. We realized later that Melanie already had the "an" sound in it, but I like the way it sounds. Savannah also has the "an" sound in it. I think it's a beautiful name!

Mary Kalree said...

I love her dress too. It will be an heirloom!

Jeannie said...

I think it's special that you were able to do it at home with just family. What a bummer for Alex to go through all that, though!

What a cute GIRL you have! Still can't get over that. Love it!

Mamapierce said...

She is SO precious, Annie! :D

Lisa said...

Congratulations on Savannah's blessing! Even though it didn't turned out as you planned, it sounds like it was lovely. I hope you were able to show off that angelic dress at Church the next week!