Monday, September 16, 2013

Alex's new hobby

Alex has been busy this summer - canning, freezing, and drying things from our yard and garden.  He canned applesauce, peaches, salsa, stewed tomatoes, grape jelly, plum & apricot jam, dried apricots, and froze zucchini and squash.  I think he has done 6 more jars of stewed tomatoes since this picture was taken.  I don't know if he particularly enjoys the work to do it, but I know he is proud of the results.  It feels good to bottle up your own food and not see your produce go to waste.  Well, at least not for another year... will we eat our canned items?  I tend to forget about them...



3 comments:

Krista said...

Wow! That's fantastic!

Alison said...

Love it! Way to go. This is what Ive been doing lately too. Although I wish I had strawberries, raspberries, and apricots for jam. Maybe in a couple years...

Lisa said...

I am so impressed. I bet you'll find a way to use it all. I throw fruit on its last legs into smoothie or muffins, and veggies get mixed into soups or pasta sauces.