Sunday, September 1, 2013

last hurrah in UT

After leaving Ashley's place, we had one more day with Alison.  I shared part of that day with one of my college friends, Beth, who I hadn't seen in 13-15 years.  I can't believe it's been that long since college!  Beth and I became friends my freshman year of college.  She was at OSU for a couple of years (maybe even only 1.5 years?) and then headed to BYU.  We weren't roommates - not even in the same dorm.  And we didn't have any classes together.  We met through church, and I am happy that we still share that in common.  Although I only got to hang out with Beth for less than 2 years, she was one of those people who make a lasting impact on you in a short amount of time.  Beth is a fascinating girl - I love her genuine personality and how friendly and accepting she is of everyone.  I was really shy - still shy now, but not nearly as much as I was when I got to college.  Beth didn't seem to mind.  She was outgoing enough for the both of us.  She called me to hang out, get chocolate banana malts at this place on campus, work out at the gym, or eat meals in the cafeteria.  Beth had lots of friends, and I couldn't believe how easy it was for her to talk to people.  She could talk to anyone and overlook any faults as well.  In my English class, we had to pick a person and write about them.  I chose Beth, because she was just a really cool person.  I bet I still have that paper somewhere... 

Anyway, Beth moved to UT before Alex got back to OSU, so he never really knew her.  We went to her wedding reception - she got married the same year as us, in 2000.  That was the last time I have seen her.  (I think the last time we were hanging out at OSU was in 1998.)  I lost track of her after she moved, and didn't find her again until a year ago, on FaceBook.  

It just worked out that we were able to squeeze in a quick visit during our Utah vacation.  It was great to see her and meet her kids (at least 3 of them).  She has 3 girls and 1 boy, nearly the same age as my kids.  (Her oldest girl was sick that day, so we didn't get to meet her.)  Beth and I are both stay-at-home "Mormon" moms - both of us still active in The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints and love our jobs as moms.  Beth is still just as outgoing and beautiful as I remember.  It was fun to see our kids together - although they didn't really interact that much... boys play with girls??  Eww. Girls.  Ha ha.  Weston had a buddy...

We took a fun short hike to a little waterfall (I think sometimes it's fuller than when we saw it).  The kids enjoyed playing in the water.  The hike had these logs and bridges to walk across along the way.  Just right.    
    


I found and scanned the few pictures I had of Beth and me, from my scrapbook.  We didn't take pictures back then like we do now...  they're a little blurry and with scratches, but they're all I've got. 

Beth probably has never seen these... 


 (Jerushia is in this one.  She was one of my roommates - another good college friend.)



Alison didn't mind sharing the day (at least I don't think she did).  We had a fun little group for our outing.  Alison and Beth discovered mutual acquaintances.  

I love how adventuresome Dallin and Emmy are - such active little minds.  Fun day!  



We went out to eat that evening with Alison & Micah, followed by movie & popcorn.  Thanks for letting us stay and hang out with you!  We had a great time!

3 comments:

Krista said...

What a great time! Beth sounds like a fantastic friend - it's great when you can find a friend and even after years, you can just pick up where you left off.

I love how you write your blog posts btw.

You're looking great too!

Mamapierce said...

I remember you and Beth hanging out - such good times! You guys still look amazing! :D

Lisa said...

Oh, I always enjoy flashback pictures! What a fun trip for you guys.