Sunday, October 20, 2013

things that make me smile (and some that don't...)

Most of these pictures are from the day we took "professional" family pictures. I snapped a few pictures after the session, and they turned out better than the professional ones (and mine were not great either, so...) I guess that's what happens when I go for a $19 Groupon deal. I regret having to spend $19 for the lousy picture that I had to choose. Oh well. We'll just have a friend take a few pictures for us later. I remember why we don't get professional pictures done very often. The whole process is painful. The kids hate getting pictures taken and are not very cooperative, it's usually very expensive, and then if you actually want your pictures to use digitally, you have to pay even more money. Why does it cost SO much to have YOUR pictures on a CD to use? I don't understand that. CD's are cheap! I know, the photographer has to make money. But isn't that what the session fee is for? Why do they need so much to actually hand over the use of your photos? If I hadn't used a coupon, it would have been outrageously expensive. Here is what it would normally be - $100 for the session fee, $200 to have all your digital files, $80 PER PICTURE for re-touching, and $50 for just a basic package (which is only an 8x10, two 5x7's, and 8 wallets of one pose). So... if we did just the basics, no re-touching, and wanted our pictures to use, we would have to pay $350. This is what we have to pay for a painful 30 minutes for a family photo?! (That's $700/hour for the photographer.) And this particular photographer didn't have a clue about lighting. All of you could have taken better pictures than they did. Also, with scheduled professional pictures, you can't plan around weather, naps, migraines, facial blemishes, or any other things that may come up (like one family member scheduling a work trip over the family pictures... what's a family picture with one member missing?) And we actually had problems with all of those things that I mentioned. Yep, I got a migraine shortly before the pictures. In general, it's really hard to coordinate clothes for 7 people! I didn't want to put them in their ratty t-shirts and athletic shorts (maybe I will sometime, just to keep it real.) :) And then trying to coordinate colors of the few nice clothes they do have... I had to go shopping for a few things. I had actually coordinated a whole different fall wardrobe, but changed it up at the last minute since it was a lot warmer weather that afternoon. Anyway... I'm sure there are wonderful photographers out there and much more affordable deals. But this experience left a really bad taste in my mouth. Luckily, what does make me smile are the subjects of the pictures! I may not have a great looking picture to hang on my wall, but I do have a really great family that makes me smile every day. Love these kids (and husband)! (This first collage has some pictures from another day.)



5 comments:

The Purtle's said...

You totally make me laugh. I can't imagine doing professional pics of 5 kids!!! haha! I do like JCPenney b/c they run coupons for no sitting fee...and $3.99 sheets. Granted, they aren't touched up. But, at least they are cheap and I've only been disappointed maybe once. But, then again, I've only taken one child for pics and not 5. :) Maybe a friend (or self timer!) is the best way to go. Too hilarious. But, I had to laugh out loud several times at your photography commentary. It's all true!

Mamapierce said...

There anyone in your ward who owns a nice camera likes to take pictures? We usually pay about $50 for 30 minutes of pictures time, and we get a free cd. Coordinating colors can be tough with so many various sizes. I have had success matching colors by ordering online from old navy. By the way, your hair is gorgeous!!

Lisa said...

We are really lucky that we have a great photographer (only $125/hour) and then a great photo touch up place to correct any flyaway curly hair or (as was the case in our recent family pics 2 weeks ago) HUGE zits on my cheek. I guess that's a benefit of living in ID verses CA.

But I was getting ready to blow my brains out when it came to coordinating outfits, and there are only 3 of us! I started by choosing Phoebe's clothes, then I had to shop for my clothes, and then for Steve's...because of course I chose clothes for Phoebe that we didn't have anything to go with. What amazed me was how easy it was to shop for me and how difficult it was to shop for Steve. It took me 3 hours to find something for him. Usually we just walk into any store and come out with loads of clothes for him, but of course not this time.

Sigh. The end results are always worth it though. You are such a good looking family, and your kids have the sweetest faces!

Jessica McKay said...

Love, love, love your hair!

Unknown said...

I love these pics Annie! And I also want to say I love your hair also. It has gotten so long!