Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Day "Camp Owen"


This picture went on his invitations to his camp Owen party at the park.  Pretty handsome guy.

We had a day camp/outdoor theme, so we did a hotdog lunch, with cheese puffs, fruit, and "dirt & worms" (yogurt, graham cracker, and gummy worm).


They had fun playing "swat the fly."  One person has a picture of a fly attached to a string.  They run and another person tries to swat the fly.  Alex took all the kids on a mini hike, collecting things in nature.  They also went on a bear hunt and then bashed open the pinata bear after they found it.  The pinata had teddy grahams and gummy bears in it (although the teddy grahams got smashed to bits - bad idea).


I found a simple bear cake on Pinterest.  I also did campfire cupcakes with mini smores.  I had hoped each kid could "roast" their mini smore on a candle, but it was too windy for a flame to stay.  The big marshmallow pretzels were fun to make.  I rolled/dabbed them in chocolate to make them look roasted.  I chickened out on an edible flame and printed one out on paper.  Much easier than trying to melt candy or whatever to make an edible flame.  



The favors I had planned to give didn't arrive in time - apparently they are still being shipped from CHINA, which I didn't realize when I bought them.  I'll save them for another time IF they ever arrive.  We put together these treat bags instead (smores and campfire candy "stew".)  They also got to take home trail mix.

And this was part of the mess that we had to clean up later... It was too embarrassing to photograph the rest of it!

Whew!  Another party done.  It's not fair to have to do these right before a big holiday... but we're so glad to be able to celebrate 5 years of Owen being in our family!

1 comment:

The Purtle's said...

How adorable!! I love seeing your party ideas, they're always over the top. I also love your family pic above. And, please tell Nathan he did an awesome job writing your Christmas letter. quite impressive! :) Merry Christmas!!!