Thursday, July 31, 2014

Fireman party!

Weston had his first friend birthday party.  It was a success!  No tears or mishaps, the weather was perfect, and I think everyone had fun. 

I didn't let Weston pick the theme though.  He wanted an orc party, but I already had party stuff for a fireman party.  I had bought fireman costumes for $1.40 each - Halloween clearance, back in 2009.  My intention was to use them for Jared's 4th birthday party in May of 2010.  However, I realized that we didn't quite have enough fireman costumes for his friends.  So we boxed them up, saving them for another party.  We never used them, until now.  I figured this might be my last chance, since he probably wouldn't want a fireman party for his 6th birthday.  And Savannah likely wouldn't request a fireman party.  So I just planned it, and hoped he wouldn't throw a fit the day of the party.  (I checked out some Fireman Sam videos from the library too to try to get him excited about it.)   


We had pigs in a blanket, watermelon & cantaloupe, and cheetos/chips, and lemonade for lunch.  



(My try at this Betty Crocker Fire Engine cake - the instruction video is nice.)

The party went pretty well until it was time to have cake.  Weston wasn't really in the mood for it, but we did get him to participate.  And he cracked a smile or two as well, so that was a bonus.  :)


We set up a little obstacle training course - they had to climb a (small) ladder to rescue a cat from a tree, they had to run around the yard in their fire truck, axe through a wall, climb under the smoke, and spray out the flames.

They also had fun spraying each other with the water hose, trying to pop bubbles with their axes, and they did a scavenger hunt for fireman gear.  

Each of the party guests got to take home a cardboard fire truck and their costume (jacket, hat, and axe).  

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

You're amazing!!! If we were neighbors I'd beg/pay/barter for you to plan my parties! Good job! And adorable kids!

Jessica McKay said...

You do amazing parties! This was such a cute one. I love the obsticial course.