Saturday, August 7, 2021

The list

I always look forward to our new summer list, although the kids aren't excited about it.  I like to add something new every year or change things up a bit.  We were consistent about running 3 mornings a week throughout the school year, so we continued with that routine.  I also wanted to stick with our scripture and reading routine.  It's unfortunate that I have to include things on the list such as showering, brushing teeth, and meals, but they forget to do those if it's not on the list.  We weren't consistent during the school year with typing or piano, so I put those on the summer list for Owen, Weston, and Savannah.  Savannah and Owen have been interested in piano, but we can't seem to find consistency with lessons.  Weston didn't want to do piano, but I'm paying him off to do it, hoping that getting started will spark an interest in continuing with it.  It's extra incentive for Owen and Savannah too, as I made the same deal with them.  Chores isn't a new thing, but I decided to choose the work they're doing this year and only do them two days a week.  In the past, I've let them choose a chore or do a service for each other, but they were choosing things like "make the bed" for their sibling.  That's nice, but not so helpful in getting other chores done or something they should be doing on their own.  This summer, they've done yard work for me, washing the windows, picking up rotten fruit, or whatever needed done that week.  

The new thing we hadn't done before was indexing, which I added for Nathan, Jared, and Owen.  I took on the task as well, since I was asking them to do it, so I've been getting some good things done too.  We sometimes help each other when we need help deciphering what's on the census records.  It's easier for me to read the cursive than the boys, since they didn't have to learn how to write it.  That's one downfall of eliminating cursive in the school curriculum - they don't know how to read it either.  I've currently been working on Virginia marriage records, which has been pretty time consuming.  The boys have been grateful for the easier and shorter records from Liberia, since they have to complete a batch.  

Nathan has also been working for someone independently the last few weeks, doing an inventory, sorting, and beginning to sell or clean out things from the home of an elderly woman who passed away earlier this year.  The family is paying Nathan to help them go through all her things.  It's been good for him to have a job.  He applied to a few different places, like the grocery store and movie theater, yet despite all the hiring signs, no one has given him a call back for a job.  Maybe they don't want to hire teenagers?  Anyway, this job he's been doing is perfect, because it's flexible, he doesn't have to wear a mask, and can work independently.             


 

No comments: