Thursday, December 7, 2023

Halloween

Our pumpkin patch group is getting smaller each year - just Savannah went this time.  The boys went separately for a youth activity.  

The boys made their own knight costumes this year, since I didn't have the time or energy to put costumes together.  I did Savannah's hair 3 different times for her costume (activity days, trunk-or-treat, school costume parade, and trick-or-treating).  She dressed as one of the girls from Little Women.  I did buy the hoop skirt online and found a skirt at the thrift store.  I made her shawl from a table runner at the thrift store.  That was the extent of my participation in the costumes this year.  

The boys did get Alex and I to throw together a last minute king and queen costume for the ward trunk-or-treatment party, but I didn't get any pictures of us.  I made a simple castle from a presentation board for our trunk.  

We tried out moambe chicken for our Halloween dinner.  I figured it sounded scary... it was pretty disgusting. It was smelling good until I added the tomato paste and peanut butter.  Blah!  Ever since Weston did a school presentation last year on the Democratic Republic of Congo, he's had this fascination with trying their national dish. He even had a moambe chicken dance.  I finally got the ingredients and tried it out.  We won't be making it again, but we tried it.  At least we had cupcakes, sherbet and 7-up drinks, and lots of sweets to get the taste out of our mouths.  Weston didn't think it tasted too bad, but he did end up puking it up a few hours later, so it didn't agree with his stomach.  It has an interesting combination of ingredients.  It also included ginger root and peanut oil.  I never use peanut oil, so I'm wondering if that added to Weston's upset stomach.    

Savannah and I went trick-or-treating with some of her friends.  A nearby neighborhood does a pretty good job of making it fun.  The decorations are pretty impressive, some of them hand out full-size candy bars, and one house hands out popcorn and cotton candy.  Our next door neighbor always does a great job on decorations too.  They decorated their boat like a pirate ship.  

Alex and the boys went to a friend's house and watched The Sixth Sense.     









No comments: