Sunday, January 6, 2008

Bittersweet moments

Today was our last Sunday here in Australia... Nearing the end of our time here in Australia is one of those bittersweet times. We're sad to say good-bye to the wonderful people we've met (even in just 6 weeks), but we're excited to come home. We said farewell to most of our acquaintances at church- they made us feel so welcome and offered their service to us. We received rides and meal invitations and even a night out this week without the boys (along with free baby-sitting and use of their car). You can't beat that... We also called upon a ward member to help give the boys a priesthood blessing when they were sick. They came right away and even brought medecine for us to use.

I can see the hand of the Lord in our lives in so many ways. At a recent conference of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, Henry Eyring spoke about looking daily for evidences of the hand of God in our lives and recording that. While unfortunately I haven't been keeping record daily, I have thought about that and noticed several times when my family or I have been blessed in small and simple ways. During our time here, being so far away from home, I have felt more dependent on God for strength and patience. When at times I didn't think I could walk anymore in the heat, with tired boys, carrying groceries, while the flies were bugging us, then I'd see a pretty flower and think it was there just for me. It was just enough to keep me going. OR another time when we missed the bus from the grocery store and the next one wasn't coming for an hour, a nice lady (who had seen us in line at the grocery store) offered us a ride home. OR when we found nearly the last motel room on Christmas and they didn't charge us extra for the kids. OR when we made it home 5 minutes before it started pouring, sparing us from walking in the rain. OR getting a full week off for Christmas. OR getting a chance to watch the First Presidency Christmas devotional again when we missed most of it the 1st time. OR all of the rides, meals, and service I mentioned earlier.

These are just a few of the little blessings I've noticed- small, but evidences of the Lord's love for me.

No comments: