Sunday, January 18, 2009

why blog?

So I've been thinking about the concept of blogging, wondering how we all got involved with it and why. Why do we like these so much? Most blogs have a common theme or purpose. Some are to post opinions about politics, sports, religion, etc. Others are for entertainment or to make people laugh... (like those moms who post embarrassing childhood pictures of their kids and see what kind of comments they can bring in. :) Others are cooking blogs to share recipes, or home decorating, crafts, etc.
I think mine is one of those "mommy blogs" to show off the kids (particularly to the grandparents) and get sympathy and encouragement from the other crazy moms out there. Sometimes I post random thoughts, like this one, but usually I just blog about the daily happenings in the life of a mom with young kids. I know...boring.

But I guess behind it all is the need to be connected and acknowledged, and blogging is a means of communication that brings that connection with others that we all need. Whether for venting, for sharing common interests, a creative outlet, or whatever your reason, it's great. Happy blogging! (And I'm looking forward many more boring blogs from the great moms and dads out there.) :)

4 comments:

Coty said...

I could not agree more, it really does make me feel connected.
I also love the comments people leave; they are always so encouraging and give me feedback outside of the Hubby alone.
Plus, how do you bring these types of things up at enrichment meeting or in relief society and get 10 or more opinions from other experienced mothers? ya just can't!

Emma said...

That's pretty much why I blog too. I do have a recipe blog, but I have neglected it since before Thanksgiving! I love comments, but that's not why I blog.

Debora said...

So, is there a hint in there that I need to show Ron how to blog? :)
These things provide tons of entertainment for us "old people"- mom and I are always talking about what was on the blogs. It's an awesome family connection, that my family never had when I was younger.

alanna said...

I love this post. I've been thinking about writing a post about blogging too.
On another blog I read, the woman was accused of being self-centered in her comments. It's funny because she really isn't, it's just the nature of blogging that you write about whats going on in your own life and with your family.
Another trend I've noticed is that women sort of apologize for being "mommy bloggers" and showing off their kids. I guess I just have no shame about it because that is the only reason I started blogging. I live so far away from ALL my family that they would be completely missing my boys' lives if I didn't blog about them.
Anyway, thanks for the post. It really got me thinking.
:)