Thursday, February 25, 2010

Too many toys!


We bought this book today at a book fair at Nathan's school. I think I like it much more than the boys do... I can really relate, as I'm sure most of you do too, to having too many toys (we have at least 4 large rubbermaids of toys in storage right now while our house is on the market). In the story, the mom decides she's had it with all the toys and their potential "hazards" and that some must go. The boy wants to keep them all, of course. He has to try to pick at least one box full of toys. He finally gets 1 box full, but the mom finds them back all over the floor, with the boy saying, "...We can't give away this box... it's the best toy ever!" (He's riding in his new "spaceship".) Here's another part that I liked from the book - where the toys come from:

"Everyone gave toys to Spencer. Of course, his mom and dad did. But so did Grandma Bobo and Poppy and Grandiddy and Auntie Mim and Uncle Fred and Cousin Drew. They gave him toys for every holiday (even the 4th of July!) and his birthday. He also got toys from all his friends on his birthday, and on their birthdays, too, when he went to their parties! He got toys at the Drive-thru with his Kidburger, and at school for having lots of Peace Person Points, and at the dentist and the doctor when he didn't squirm. That's a lot of TOYS!"


Isn't it interesting that they get toys from other kids birthdays? The gift favors these days just aren't what they used to be. A piece of candy just doesn't cut it. (On this tangent - for Nathan's birthday, I made the superhero capes and that was their favors. One little boy was distraught at the end of the party, because he hadn't gotten his "gift bag" favor. Kids these days do expect to go home with a full bag of goodies!) It's gotten out of hand.

I also told my mom not to send the boys any more toys, at least for a while... for Valentine's Day she sent McDonald's gift cards - perfect! (We haven't used them yet, but I'm guessing we'll have some new Happy Meal toys from that.) Anyway, guess what I did today? I bought the boys a couple of new balls when we were at Wal-Mart - I should follow my own rules.

6 comments:

Carrie said...

I don't know about you, but it's just so hard not to buy the toys. It's like I'm buying a 5 minute smile of joy and happiness (I'm still in search of toys that last longer than that, although Thomas trains seem to be the answer for now)

Debora said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Melissa said...

Great post! I know what you mean. kids at Grant's b-day parties will be severely disappointed when they don't go home with a bag of goodies. RIDICULOUS!

Alabama Apples said...

I so understand! Our boys have lots of loving family members who adore sending them fab gifts. BUT- when you live in a small house, space is a hot commodity. I have asked grandparents to lower their spending on gifts and now they buy a gift of a little lesser value and contribute the rest to a mission fund. I love it!

Annie said...

Sorry mom. You said that S word again. :) Not the bad S word...just the one that spoils my low profile.

Debora said...

S...orry :)