Friday, April 16, 2010

Dress-maker?


Well, not really... but I did attempt to make this old-fashioned looking dress for an "Emma Smith's garden party" at church. I read the part of Zina Young, one of the past general relief society presidents. I didn't have anything that looked old-fashioned and especially not with my big belly...
So I tried to make something - how hard can it be to make a dress anyway? I considered not wearing it (I thought I looked like a big fish when I put in on...), and because it was very poorly done, but after working on it all night I decided I better wear it (the fabric was pretty...)
A couple of problems... I've never made a dress before. I didn't have a pattern. My ancient sewing machine kept "eating" the fabric. And I was trying to make something to fit over my belly. The sleeves were something else... And I didn't really complete it - I didn't put a zipper in; I didn't sew the bottom half to the top half, which also meant that I had to make the top big enough to fit over my head. I pinned the skirt on and then put that bow around my waist to cover up where the 2 pieces met. I wonder what I could do with a pattern?

7 comments:

Mamapierce said...

I don't know how to sew, myself, but I love the color of your dress. You look radiant!

Krista said...

I think you did a great job. Patterns actually confuse me, but I made two doll dresses without a pattern - luckily they were too small for me to wear. tee hee

Melissa said...

For not knowing how to sew, you did great! I think you look beautiful.

Carrie said...

Great job, sewing is something that looks easy, but it's a pain sometimes.

whitney said...

Wow, look at you go all pattern-less! You are one brave chica. I laughed more then a bit about the pinning and bow cover-up. You're too cute!

Debbie said...

I included this photo in my post about the Garden Party too. Your hard work inspired me! And you looked beautiful.

Melissa said...

That is awesome! Way to go! I made a jumper once, but it turned out to look more like a tent. I've stopped making clothes for now- but you should keep going!