Tuesday, February 8, 2011

watch dogs and stallions

Just a quick post, without pictures, about a couple of the day's happenings.   My first thought - we've got our own Westie "watch dog".  Alex woke up early and couldn't go back to sleep, so he headed off to work at about 4:00am.  I was still out.  Didn't hear Alex get up, get in the shower, eat breakfast, or head out the door.  He ALMOST sneaked out of the house without waking anyone, BUT he didn't sneak past Weston.  My mommy monitor was awakened to Weston crying at about 4:15.  I let him cry for about 15 minutes before I had to nurse him back to sleep.  I can sleep through most anything, except my kids crying - somehow I am attuned to them even in a deep sleep.  How is that?  I guess that's a good thing.  Anyway, who needs a watch dog when you've got a Westie?

My second thought, which has nothing to do with the first, is that I've got some stallion boys.  I took Owen and Weston in for their well child check-ups (and they both have ear infections, of course).  On a side note, why is it that when they're cranky and you take them in for a suspected ear infection, they don't have one?  But when they seem happy and you're going in for the "well child check-up" they always have something wrong?  Anyway, both Weston and Owen had immunizations today.  Owen was a stallion - he didn't cry at all.  And they didn't pop those needles in and out quickly either.  The other thing was I had her take a quick look at Jared (who didn't have an appointment at all) because he had a really swollen lymph node.  Turns out it wasn't just one, but more than that and she wanted to do some lab work, just in case.  So Jared had to get some blood drawn.  The nurse came in to do that right after Weston's shots, and of course I was comforting him.  The nurse thought I would need to hold Jared on my lap, but seeing my need to comfort Weston, sent for another nurse.  So then the 2 nurses got ready, holding his arm and expecting the worst.  "Okay, here we go..."  They stuck in one of those little butterfly needles (which I know hurt - who knows how many times I've done those...)  and stallion Jared didn't even flinch.  He sat there so still and didn't make a peep or even scrunch up his face.  Amazing.  What a stallion.

Besides being tough, I think he is reward driven.  He remembered there were stickers and suckers after he was done. 

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow, you really do have some stallions! It's funny because I just took Hailey in for her 18 month appt and she too had an ear infection that I had no idea about! I can't say she didn't cry for the shots though.

Jason and Lissa said...

Just reading your post made me feel like I was going to faint. Needles tend to do that to me. I don't cry. I just pass out. I am SO not a stallion! :)

Unknown said...

Ha! I hate shots too. Jared and Weston probably did better than I would.

WhiteEyebrows said...

My theory - could be wrong - is that a lot of kids fear doctors, dentists, etc because their parents and friends project that fear onto them. A lot of times, the parents come out of the doctor's office crying more than the children.

Growing up, I was never afraid of dentists, especially because going to the dentist meant I got to get out of school and have clean teeth. If something did hurt, I was just encouraged to be 'tough as nails'.

Looks like Jared (especially with the recent stitches) has learned to be tough as nails! :)