Wednesday, September 7, 2011

back to school

I'm behind on the posts by a couple of weeks... school started 2 weeks ago.  Nathan and Jared were very eager and excited to go to school.  I planned on doing a little extra for breakfast the 1st day of school - nothing really fancy, but just a few pencil and apple decorations, along with eggs and pancakes.  I set my alarm for 5:30am so I could get things ready (and have time for a quick jog), but guess who was up before me?  Nathan.  I have yet to make it up before him on a first day of school.  I told him to go back to bed.  He came out again 5 minutes later saying he couldn't sleep anymore and asked if he could get dressed.  I love his enthusiasm.


Jared started kindergarten this year.  I kept thinking he might get a little nervous and looked for any signs of anxiety - none.  He was ready to go.  Thursdays are usually Alex's day to take the boys to school, so he was going to walk them over.  But I decided I wanted to go too to see Jared off on his very first day.  Nathan and Jared asked, "Why is Mama coming too?"  I just told them, "It's a mom thing."  So we all headed out the door.

When we got to school, I asked if Jared wanted to walk to Nathan's classroom first to drop him off.  "No.  I'm going to go play."  He headed to the kindergarten playground and didn't look back.  I came back after dropping Nathan off and watched him play for a few minutes.  It was interesting to see the kindergarten playground.  There were parents everywhere standing around, snapping pictures (I was one of those), and some had kids clinging to them.  I'm not sure if Jared even knew I was there.  As the bell was ringing, the teachers said the parents could walk to the classroom door with them, but then they had to say good-bye.  Jared was already waving bye to me.  We let him go... I didn't cry, but as we walked home, it was hard to imagine another one of my boys not at home.  And then I got home and 2 kids at home felt pretty good... Owen sure loves being the "man of the house" during the day.  Time flies though - my boys are growing up.  


Nathan and Jared both had a great first day.  They like their teachers, love recess, didn't learn a thing :) and already have friends.  Jared's buddy is named Connor.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Cute! Jaden's buddy is named Connor too. So Far we've heard about him and a girl named Chantel.. I was happy to know that his first buddy was a boy though :-) He has way too many girl friends.

Our kids are growing up so fast!

-Ashley