Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Great Grandma's 80th birthday

Amidst Alex's September travels, I was able to sneak away to Texas for a weekend to celebrate my grandma's 80th birthday.  (Thanks to friends who helped watch our kids on Friday before Alex got home and on Saturday during soccer!  I left on Friday afternoon, Alex got home Friday evening, I returned Monday night, and Alex left again Tuesday morning... whew!)

We decided the party theme should be cows & western, considering GG loves cows and where she lives now (the "cowboy capital of the world").  GG grew up raising cattle and she also worked for the National Cattleman's Association.  It seemed only appropriate to make a cow cake for the occasion.  

I got in late Friday night and made the cake at my sister's house that night.  It looked really good when I first made it.  When I looked at it in the morning, one whole side had separated/fallen off.  I tried to prop up the side with rolled up foil as best that I could.  Then we had to transport it in the car for about 45 minutes - longest car ride ever... seems like every time we hit a bump in the road more pieces would fall off the edge.  I had to just take off one side when we got there.  The rest was still in pretty good shape.  Hopefully GG liked it.  I know that Eli loved it!  :)  


My mom and sisters had everything all decorated really cute, with pictures of GG when she was young, pictures of her grandkids and greats, cow balloons, and western stuff.  I toted along a few paper plate cows that the boys made.



One of my September projects was making a book for GG of all of her great grandkids (110 pages=no time for blogging...)  GG has 16 great grandkids!

Most of the kids had to stay home, but Evie got to come with Alison.  Noah and Eli are the lucky ones that live close to GG.  Alison had a super cute cow costume for Evie to wear - cutest little cow ever!

The party was just a small family one, but it turned out just right.  GG's three kids were all there - Doug, my mom, and Gary (along with his wife Quin).  All of my sisters were there (and Audrey's husband Sam) - of my siblings, just missing my brother Mike, who wasn't able to make it (missed you Mike!).  We are grateful that Alex, Daniel, and Micah were able to stay home and watch the kids.  


It was fun to watch Eli conduct "Happy Birthday."  And it was fun to have cake & ice cream for lunch!

                                                                                      Some were all worn out after the party...

We were lucky to make it through the party - GG had to go to the ER in the evening.  Her leg was infected, and she was in a lot of pain.  She was in the hospital the rest of the weekend (and still not at home now).  She has been undergoing chemo treatments and trying to get stronger.  She's a fighter!  I am glad we were able to be there to celebrate - I loved seeing the surprise on her face when I walked in to give her a hug!  She didn't know we were all coming.  Just wish the weekend had ended on a better note, with more time to spend with GG.  It was a tender mercy to be able to celebrate her birthday with her that afternoon.  We love you GG!

I finally got to meet Evelyn (Evie), who was born in March.  She is a pretty smily baby!

Enjoyed my time with family - just wish I could have stayed longer!


1 comment:

The Purtle's said...

What a legacy!!!! What an amazing lady!!!! She is so beautiful, never guess she was 80. And I thought the holy cow theme and cake was perfect. :)