Tuesday, September 17, 2019

Fall soccer

Soccer started the same week as school started.  The kids have played 2 games so far.  I only got a few pictures so far, but I guess they characterize the kids pretty well.  Weston is definitely out there to have fun.  You can see him doing some dance moves... he doesn't know what's going on most of the time, but he does kick the ball if it comes to him.  One of his good friends is on the team, so I think they goof off quite a bit.  I'm sorry for Weston's coach, but at least Weston is having fun.  

Jared has earned a spot as center defender.  Unfortunately, Jared would rather play forward or midfield, but he is a good defender.  He basically is in charge of keeping the defensive line pushed forward, and he's good at running the ball down or anyone who has the ball.  

Savannah is much more aggressive this year.  She's right in the middle of the pack (and U8 is still very much pack ball).  U8 has goalies this year, so that's new.  They also are trying to have positions, defense and offense, so usually there are 2 defenders just standing back waiting to kick the ball.  Savannah scored her very first goal last week!  She was right in front of the goal, and when it came across and past the keeper, she was there to kick it in.  

I'm not coaching any of them this year.  I probably should have, but I wanted both Weston and Savannah to experience a coach other than their own parent.  Both of them have only played on teams that either Alex or I have coached.  Savannah was pretty clingy and moody last year when I coached her team. I think she took advantage of that during practice, often just going to sit and not play.  She is doing really well with her coach this year, gaining some independence.  But I am missing coaching her a little bit.  Maybe next year I'll coach her team again. I am loving watching the kids play soccer!   It's busy though with 3 of them playing - 5 practices and 3 games each week.  The games sometimes overlap and they are at different locations.  Nathan is also a referee again, so last weekend, he had 2 games.  It was also photo day for Weston and Jared, so starting at 7:15am, we had 3 games, 2 photo shoots, and 2 games for Nathan.  I had to get a little help from friends (with Alex being gone) and with 3 of the things at the same time.  I did quite a bit of driving to get the kids where they needed to be.  We survived.     


No comments: