Sunday, August 24, 2008

new calling

Alex got a new responsibility in church. He's the 2nd counselor in the bishopric. Many of you know what that entails and we'll take your condolences... :) for those not familiar with the church and its organization, his new position is like the counselor/assitant/adviser to the "bishop" (or pastor/minister, etc.). Anyway, it's a pretty big responsibility and not one that he wanted or aspired to be. When you are "called" to a position you can accept or reject it, but usually you accept whatever you are asked to do, believing that it was an inspired call from the the Lord. We were a little surprised that Alex was called at this time to such a calling, but we know the Lord provides a way and we are expecting lots of blessings from our service. One of the hard things for me will be the time he will be away for meetings and visits and such. Also, on Sundays he is supposed to sit up front on the stand, which means I will be attending to the kids on my own. I already had people offer to help, which I definitely will need when the new baby comes.

Despite feelings of inadequacy, I do know that Alex will do well in his calling, because of his love for the Lord and dedication to the gospel of Jesus Christ.

8 comments:

Emma said...

Good luck with the new calling. I know it's a big responsibility. At least when Aaron received that calling I wasn't expecting a baby, and we were pretty sure we would be moving out of the ward in less than 8 months. I'm Alex will do great. It's nice to have people willing to help you out!

hollase said...

You never know what God has in store for you!!!!! We moved to Evanston for Keith to get a PhD (he just felt like something wasn't right with his job and our lives just weren't on the track that felt right) and the move ended up saving my life (and not a month too soon!) and being an answer to 11 years of praying for an answer/help with my health problems. Its crazy how the Lord works sometimes!!!!

It was scary to give up our lives, but we knew it was the right thing. That leap of faith paid off for us in more ways than we could have ever imagined. Now here we are, about to embark on yet another adventure, and I'm convinced that we were called to this new phase in our lives....

I'm sure the Lord has all sorts of good stuff in store for your family....its crazy what can happen when you are in His hands and doing what He calls us to do! Good luck and we are praying for you in your new journey!

Melissa said...

If anyone can do it, Alex can. That is quite an overwhelming calling I bet. Your family will be blessed tremendously for his efforts. I'll pray for all of you.

Anonymous said...

Good luck to you and your family! That is such big responsibility...but when I heard I knew that Alex would be great. When Phillip held that calling, there was some growing pains, but we figured it out, and I am sure you will too. :)

Pam said...

That's awesome!
As a wife of a Bishop, I can't begin to tell you how important Alex will be to your Bishop. As he is faithful and dedicated you and the kids will be blessed for his service.

Mamapierce said...

Congrats to Alex (and you, of course!) on his new calling. Did you get a new bishopric or just new counselors? Tyler is the EQ president now and he's SO BUSY! It's amazing how busy some callings are! Good luck! :o)

Mike said...

thank you both for your wonderful examples and willingness to serve. I know the Lord will bless your family abundantly for Alex's additional service.

whitney said...

(((hugs)))

I'm sure Alex will be great and I'm sure you'll manage somehow ;). Really, though, I know you'll be ok-you're a strong woman, if I've ever seen one. If you need any help, you can send the boys over to our pew and they can get into trouble with Ez.