Tuesday, October 28, 2008

5 weeks left??

Well, I had another appointment today (at about 32 weeks). I was shocked to discover that my platelet count is down to 96 already. Some of you know my history... I went in at 37 weeks with Nathan because my platelet count had dropped below 100, so they brought me in for an induction that night. I have this condition called thrombocytopenia, which is a fancy term for low platelets during pregnancy. The platelet count in a normal person is supposed to be around 200 at least (200,000), but when I'm pregnant, it gets near 100 (100,000). From what I understand, your platelets help the blood to clot, so you don't bleed to death. If the count gets too low, you can't get a spinal block. I guess that means I would just go under general anesthesia (which I did with Jared after the spinal block went sour).

Anyway, my C-section is scheduled for December 16th, but I don't think we'll make it to that date. With my count already below 100, I think we're looking at somewhere around the 4th of December. That's about 5 weeks away! Anyone want to come watch the boys for a few days the first week of December?

12 comments:

Alabama Apples said...

My goodness, that is so soon! I hope all goes well for you and your family. We are sure excited for the next little red!

Emma said...

Good luck. I hope all goes well. Hang in there!

hollase said...

Maybe you were just having an off day. Good luck! We'll be praying for you guys!

hollase said...

Hey, I should have pregnancy issues along the lines of thrombophilia according to my docs. I'll share some of my clotting abilities if you'll take them off of my hands!

Pam said...

I'd love to babysit, but I'll be in Utah caring for my newborn baby grandson (Little Ben)!
We'll be praying for you.

The Purtle's said...

wow...not too far away!! How exciting!!! Have we officially picked a name yet?

Annie said...

I'm still taking ideas for names...

Melissa said...

Annie, I hope all goes well. I'd watch your boys but I'm too far away. I'll put your family on the prayer roll. Are you on any kind of restrictions?

Melissa said...

Wow- don't you love modern medicine and how they can anticipate these problems in advanced? If I were I pioneer, I would be dead by now and probably my children too. That is crazy that it is going to be so soon!! Wow! We'll watch your boys!! Not problem!

Kathryn said...

Wow--so close! Feel free to ship the boys to Portland! :) Good luck with your last few weeks.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on the new baby, Annie, and good luck with the delivery!

whitney said...

oh my heck! Good luck with all that, Annie. Really, truely, let me know if you need anything. New baby or not, I'm totally here if you need me...or even if you don't NEED need me, but just kinda, maybe, need me :).