Sunday, October 19, 2008

lessons to be learned

I'm convinced I have a lot of things to be learned from my church calling (counselor in the Relief Society, overseeing the teachers as part of my calling). I got to teach again on short notice - I knew on Wednesday of this week that the teacher was not going to be in town for her lesson, so I arranged a substitute. But this morning, the substitute called and was not feeling well. That meant I got to teach. I actually don't mind teaching, but I like to be prepared. The lesson went okay- it was on "Beyond the Veil- Life in the Eternities." I love thinking about the glory that awaits us if we're faithful , and "beginning with the end in mind." It's always good to know what we're working towards, to have a goal. I just know that I got more out of the lesson by teaching than anything that I might have taught them.

Anyway, it's interesting how the Lord strengthens us in ways we may not expect. You have to be careful what you pray for, because the Lord will answer your prayer. But maybe not in the way we want. When I pray(ed) to become a better teacher, I didn't realize that I would be given opportunities to teach impromptu or on short notice. It definitely has strengthened my confidence and my dependence on listening to the inspiration of the Spirit. And I have to rely on good discussion from the sisters in the ward, which is really what the lesson should be anyway - not me just up there talking, but being a discussion leader. I still have a lot to learn though. There are lots more lessons to be taught and lessons to be learned...

4 comments:

Alabama Apples said...

I have found that to be so true! The Lord humbles us and helps us grow in so many different ways...unfortunately not exactly the way I always want. Here's to growth!

whitney said...

You always do such a good job, Annie! You have such poise while teaching that I just don't think I'd be able to pull off on such short notice. If you need anyone to emergency sub, you know I'm totally here for you.

Melissa said...

What a great insight- blessing but not what we really wanted- but usually better. I've always wanted to be a RS teacher but I have been out of RS for almost 4 years!!! Too much primary and young womens. But I'm sure that you are an excellent teacher!

Caroline said...

How in the world I stumbled upon your blog and then read this post is just a BLESSING. I want you to know how perfect that lesson was for me. I don't know if it was just being in my home ward, or in RS (I am a Primary counselor), but your lesson touched me, and your emotion touched me, and I thought it was beautiful! And I am so thankful I got this chance to tell you that. You're awesome!