Sunday, October 11, 2009

Goldilocks and the 3 bears



I never imagined how protective I would feel towards my children. There's that natural instinct to keep them safe - I would do anything to protect them. You just don't mess with a "mama bear" and her "cubs"...


But I also didn't imagine how I would react to protecting my own cubs from each other...
I feel particularly protective of my "baby cub." This week my Jare Bear was being mean to Big O and pushed him down and started "wrestling" with him. Without thinking, I quickly yelled "Get off him! Don't push him!" and gave him a little push. He fell down and started crying. I immediately felt guilty. Here I was doing exactly what I told him not to do. I tried to comfort him, but he ran off to find Nathan for comfort. I listened to their exchange. It went something like this:

Jared: "Mama hurt me!"
Nathan: "I can't help you." (He wouldn't give Jared a hug.)
Jared: "But Mama pushed me down!"
Nathan: "That's what they do. You pushed Owen, so Mama hurt you. You have to be nice to Mama. You don't want her to leave, do you? Who is going to cook your food? Who is going to read books and tuck you in?"

I'm wasn't sure what to think of that. I guess he knows that you better not mess with the baby, and he knows that we need Mama (you can tell we've had a conversation before about why we need mama - that was "Daddy Bear"). But what about that statement, "That's what they do"?? They're not supposed to hurt you. I guess I need to work on that one - I know that I reacted before I thought about it - back to that "protect your cub" instinct. Luckily kids are very forgiving.


I may act like a bear sometimes, but I sure do love all my cubs.

9 comments:

Pam said...

lol ;-)

Debora said...

Ditto :)

Mamapierce said...

So that's what we're supposed to do...I see. ;o) You're a great mom, Annie.

Anonymous said...

Ahhh, what a great post. It made me smile the whole way through. I loved the boys' conversation. I too, have acted before I thought. (usually because the boys are picking on Ella). It's true, they are quick to forgive (thankfully...because I am far from perfect).

Mike said...

loved this post too! So real life...the dialogue, inner feelings, etc.

whitney said...

Loved this post, Annie! It's just so true-to-life. Heaven knows I instinctively reacted a little too harshly protecting my littlest cub from her older siblings and always feel tremendously guilty too. It's just nice to know I'm not the only one. You really are a great mom, annie. (((hugs)))

Alabama Apples said...

So, I'm saying what everyone before me said...fab post! It is SO true to life, I completely understand! I love reading your blog...thanks

Krista said...

I hope you don't mind me saying that I was relieved to read this blog post. So often I worry about not being the perfect mom and it was nice to see that other moms do act the way I do sometimes. I have so been there and am slowly realizing that I don't have to be perfect, but that the kids are forgiving and so is God and so I need to be too. Thanks.

Debora said...

Annie- did you see Karens comment on my "I Must Confess"- she claims her blogging was your fault too :)