Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Because I have been given much...

...I too must give.

November was a perfect month for gratitude. A couple of weeks ago, I made this post. I had the thought that gratitude was great, but service is even better, and it is a way of giving back to the Lord what He has given to us. I knew that December would be the perfect month for service. So... I'm going to try to do some act of service every day this month. I know we all serve in some way every day, but I'm going to try to do something that I normally wouldn't do. I'm not sure if I'll post about it or not - I haven't decided if that's appropriate or may seem "showy." I'm not sure if I can do something every day, but I have to try, if only in some small way.

In the recent conference of the church, the prophet gave a talk called, "What Have I Done for Someone Today?" In it, he referred to an interview and said this, "Just over a year ago, I was interviewed by the Church News prior to my birthday. At the conclusion of the interview, the reporter asked what I would consider the ideal gift that members worldwide could give to me. I replied, “Find someone who is having a hard time or is ill or lonely, and do something for him or her.” He wanted us to serve, and I can't think of a better season of the year to take that daily challenge.

The words of this hymn inspire me:

"Because I Have Been Given Much"

Because I have been given much, I too must give; Because of thy great bounty, Lord, each day I live I shall divide my gifts from thee with ev-'ry brother that I see who has the need of help from me. Because I have been sheltered, fed by thy good care, I cannot see another's lack and I not share my glowing fire, my loaf of bread, my roof's safe shelter overhead, that he too may be comforted. Because I have been blessed by thy great love, dear Lord, I'll share thy love again, according to thy word. I shall give love to those in need; I'll show that love by word and deed: Thus shall my thanks be thanks indeed.

Who's with me? You just thought we were done...

4 comments:

Emma said...

That is one of my favorite hymns. It was our family hymn growing up, but because we were rich (we weren't), but because we were blessed.

The Purtle's said...

I love your service idea....I'd also love to hear what you end up doing, I don't think it's showy! It might inspire us. I've always thought you had a wonderful servant's heart...such a blessing.

Debora said...

I agree- you have a servant's heart.
I'm trying to decide if I can keep up :)Great post and idea.

Krista said...

Good idea, Annie! Thanks for sharing it!
That is one of my most favorite hymns. The first one I sang as a duet with my sister. I often sing it in the shower. ;)