Wednesday, December 8, 2010

O Christmas tree



We actually did this last week, but I'm just getting around to posting about it.  The sugar cookies were fun and surprisingly easy.  I just happened to have different sizes of star cookie cutters - the trees are just stacks of stars placed in opposite directions.  I colored the dough green and then we put a little bit of frosting and sprinkles on the trees.  The boys also had fun putting up the Christmas tree and decorating it.  However... we shouldn't have put on the breakable balls.  Nathan found the OSU ball with Pistol Pete, one of our favorites.  Owen also liked that one.  He liked it so much that he pulled it off the tree and threw it.  It shattered all over the kitchen floor.  Luckily we had taken a picture of it at least...

Yesterday we also made cookies - sugardoodles, dipped in SALT...  oops (that was Alex's fault).  We made another batch and ate them as we listened to a (cheesy) CD of Christmas carols (thanks mom  :)), drinking hot chocolate, and trying to think of the angels singing the news of Christ's birth.  Maybe we'll find a little more reverent CD of carols... we had a lot of laughter.  I guess the angels brought good tidings and great JOY, so we accomplished the JOY part of the tradition.  I'm actually very grateful for the box of stuff my mom sent - a box of "stuff" with activities/lessons on having a Christ-centered Christmas.  It's based on the book A Christ-Centered Christmas by Emily Freeman, which has 7 traditions to bring us closer to Christ, using each figure of the nativity (Mary, Joseph, the angel, the shepherd, the wisemen, the lamb, and the Christ Child).  We did the angel yesterday evening.  The angel "embodies a heart that runneth over with the good tidings and great joy of the season.  The angel is a reminder that the anticipation of good things to come should fill our hearts with warmth overflowing."  It says we often feel this from Christmas carols and suggests filling our home or heart with carols of the season.  Maybe next time we should spread the joy by going caroling or singing the songs ourselves.  Or find a little bit more reverent CD.  :)

6 comments:

Debora said...

Sorry about the CD- I had limited choices. But, I think joy and laughter are good :) (Somebody else got that same CD- maybe Ash)

Mamapierce said...

LOVE the tree cookie idea! You're so creative, Annie. :D

Debbie said...

The tree of cookie is darling. I'll have to see what sizes of star cookie cutters I have and try it with our family. Love it!

You have a great attitude about all the glitches and setbacks with kids, Annie. Have a wonderful holiday season!

Annie said...

I didn't come up with the idea - just found it on-line...

Carrie said...

Noticed Owen was shirtless...smart move!! I would save myself some laundry if I did that with Nicholas before some of our projects : )

Melissa said...

I wanted to try the cookie tree, but never did. Yours turned out great!

I'll have to get that book about a Christ-centered Christmas. Good ideas!