Sunday, February 19, 2012

A few LOVE-ly things


Do you love Valentine's Day?  Me, not so much.  It's another one of those over-commercialized holidays where you express the love you should be showing every day.  Nevertheless, it is good to have an occasion to do something special and not feel guilty about eating a bunch of chocolate.  Alex and I gave up giving each other gifts a while back.  It just wasn't very meaningful.  Don't get me wrong.  I love gifts and love giving gifts to others, but I don't like gift giving just to say you did something.  Alex and I have a little pact not to spend money on each other (except maybe on random days), and we like it that way.  I would rather have Alex bring me flowers on a random day other than on the obligatory ones like V-day.  (When we were dating, I told Alex that I appreciated that he didn't try to "buy my love" with teddy bears or jewelry or fancy meals.  While those things may have their place at times, at that point in our relationship, I didn't want my love to be won with money.  Luckily for Alex he didn't have that money to spend anyway, so that worked in his favor.)  Anyway, that's a little tidbit about our relationship.

Alex did write me a love note on V-day.  I made chocolate chip cheese bars and chocolate covered strawberries for dessert.  (We delivered some of those treats as well.)  I also did heart-shaped pancakes, sausage, & eggs for breakfast and homemade rolls, strawberry jello/pudding and penne pasta for dinner.  (We also took dinner to someone who just had a baby - it was a busy day!)  Jared made his class valentines - butterflies for the girls and owl-monster-looking things for the boys.  :) I put together a little snack mix for their class parties.  You're not supposed to bring in cookies and cupcakes and such, so I was trying to think of something a little bit healthier.  I ended up finding heart shaped cereal and then adding pretzels, craisins, and red fruit loops (yes, I picked out all the red loops).

Anyway, I had to include a picture of Owen in his armor - he put that on in the morning.  I thought it was appropriate as my "knight in shining armor".  I've got 5 of those around here, and I love them all!

2 comments:

Debora said...

Cute little "owls and butterflies". Ash will be jealous- I think she wanted Jaden to do something cute, but couldn't think fast enough to come up with something, before just buying suckers :)

Tyson and Carrie said...

We completely agree with you on the Valentines gifts for each other. :)