Sunday, February 19, 2012

pipe cleaner doll


For activity days last week, we started making these pipe cleaner dolls.  Our theme for the month is "Be positive", so as part of that we talked about being flexible.  One of my favorite sayings is "She who is flexible never gets bent out of shape."  (I think of that a lot when trying to be a calm mom.)  Anyway, I found these really cute bendable dolls made out of just 2 pipe cleaners, a wooden bead for the head, 2 flower petals, ribbon, and embroidery thread.  You might have some fake flowers lying around - just pop off a couple of the petals.  The original link did fairy dolls.  The tutorial is there too.  I thought they were easy, but they were a little bit hard for activity day girls to wrap the pipe cleaners.  It took them at least 45 minutes just to do that part.  Hopefully we can finish them next time.  Anyway, the fun thing about these is they're totally bendable - a good reminder to be flexible.  I had fun experimenting with the hair!  I bet these dolls are much easier to work with than REAL girls!  :)   I bet you could do all kinds of little accessories or other clothes if you're good with felt or fabric.  They're mini (they fit in the palm of your hand) but cute!  Try it.

1 comment:

whitney said...

What a fun idea! I'll have to remember that for my girls sometime.