Sunday, November 18, 2018

Remembering GG

We lost another family member in 2018, my grandma Ruth Ann.  When she became a great grandma, we started calling her GG.  

I posted this on FB on February 26:  My grandma passed away peacefully yesterday, which is actually a blessing for her not to have to endure any more. She fought through ovarian cancer a little while back, and then a few years ago we thought we were going to lose her. We celebrated her 80th birthday in 2014, and I thought that was going to be the last time I saw her. She endured another 3.5 years almost!  My parents have also endured, taking care of her in their home for about the last 13 or so years, with quite a test of endurance this last year when she gradually lost mobility and mental capabilities. I admire my grandma and my parents for showing that they can do hard things (which is something that I keep telling myself: “I can do hard things.” 😊). I am grateful for the gift of time - we got to spend Christmas with her 2 years ago (with all of my siblings) and she made it to Owen’s baptism then as well. We got to see her again before we left for England in August. We will miss her, but glad that she is back “home”, free from the pains of this world.










And this one:  This picture gets its own post, because it makes me laugh every time I think about the memory! When Jared was born, GG was the one who came and helped out for a couple of weeks. Jared was a projectile spitter, meaning that you needed a full sized towel on your shoulder when he spit up! We warned GG the first time she held Jared that she might want a towel. She just put a small burp cloth on her shoulder. Not long after that, Jared did one of his projectile spit ups and she was covered in spit up.... we did warn her! 😁 

Some older photos - GG is on the right.  My mom is the little girl next to her.




No comments: