Monday, September 12, 2022

Summer Chores

The kids had at least a week off of school before the "Summer List" began.  We continued our morning running, except that we added a day, switching from T-Th to MWF.  The new thing for this summer was 30 minutes of working on a hobby/skill.  I wanted them to either learn something new or work on an on-going project.  It didn't turn out like I expected, but they did spend some time drawing, writing, or working on something other than watching TV or video games.  Weston has been writing a book, so that's what he worked on.  Owen and Savannah did some drawing during that time.  I'm still hoping that they'll find some new hobbies they enjoy.  We didn't do much indexing either, because we either had trouble logging on or sharing the computer or I was busy and didn't want to help them with it...  We were pretty consistent about having productive mornings throughout the summer though.  Nathan and Jared didn't have to do the list this year because they were working AND they were pretty much already incorporating these things into their day.  It's funny how they eventually develop these habits and do them on their own... 😉  I was really impressed with Nathan and Jared for willingly getting themselves up at 6:00am this summer to read their scriptures and work-out.  Owen joined them a little bit too. 


Summer 2022 List


Exercise MWF

Breakfast

Brush teeth

30 minutes outside time

Shower (minimum MWF)

30 minutes hobby or skill

15 minutes Duolingo

15 minutes reading

15 minutes scripture study

Indexing

Make bed

Room clean

Lunch

 

No devices / TV until after 12:00, the list is done, and daily chore

must be complete from previous day

 

I was busy working on re-arranging and painting the bedrooms over the summer.  I knew that we were moving Jared and Nathan out of their room, moving Savannah in, and moving Jared into Savannah's room (Nathan temporarily in with Jared).  I originally planned on doing the rooms towards the end of the summer, but then I found out that Alison and Micah were coming for the 4th of July.  Part of the reason we were switching Savannah to the bigger room was because Alex and I got a new king-sized bed and Savannah got our queen-sized bed (which would be a guest bed).  I wanted to get the queen-sized bed into the bigger room for Alison and Micah and Eden.  We had to start by cleaning out the rooms and moving beds around.  Nathan and Jared's bunk bed was the sturdier one, so we wanted to move that into Owen and Weston's room.  We took their bunk bed down, got the sturdier one up, took the queen bed in Savannah's old room out in the garage (we had already put the queen bed in her smaller room prior to my parents coming so they could use it).  We got her old single bed back up for Jared and a mattress on the floor for Nathan.  He got kicked out of his room quickly this summer!  

After we got the beds re-arranged or in the garage, I had planned on re-painting Savannah's new room before moving her in.  I cleaned it out, took down old blinds, and prepped for painting.  The painting itself didn't take more than a couple of days.  I loved the new color!  I thought that was it for painting, but then I decided to paint Jared's room before we put up a new curtain rod and blinds.  I already had the new blinds and ran out and bought a gallon of paint.  But then... I started to doubt whether the blue curtains would clash with the blue paint... so I decided I'd also paint Owen and Weston's room and see if Jared's curtains were okay with the color.  So then I was cleaning out their room.  I finished painting that one and the color was good.  Jared's room was the last one I painted.  

Jared helped me put up the queen bed in Savannah's room and install the new curtain rods and curtains in his room and Savannah's room.  He also helped with several of the pictures - he's really good with the measurements and details.  Alex was still out of town right until the day that Alison and Micah got here, so I had to enlist someone else to help me.  Jared was great for that!

I couldn't finish getting Jared's room in order until after Nathan left, so it was August before things were all in place.  The rooms turned out well!  I don't have new pictures for Owen and Weston's room at the moment, because that would require quite a bit of clean-up... I should have snapped photos right after I finished painting... it was mostly just a new paint color for them so far anyway.  

I love the new photo frame in Jared's room - a photo of my dad, me, and Jared running.  Above my dad, it says, "Run an Inspired Race."  I also finally got Savannah's baby blessing dress framed (her dress was made from my wedding dress, so it's a pretty special dress).  I hated that it was just hanging in the closet.  It's finally where we can see it!





We also got a new couch in July!  I only had to order that and wait a couple of months...they hauled it in and set it up for us.  Our old couch went out to the curb.  It was broken and worn out (we had it for over 9 years, with little bodies having crawled all over it during those years).  




No comments: