Sunday, July 22, 2007

Sabbath day...a day of rest?

I wish that I could have a day of rest from my labors of the week...
Sometimes I think there should be a clause in the scripture talking about the Sabbath as a day of rest. Exodus 20: 10, it should say, "But the seventh day is the sabbath of the Lord thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work"... except for parents of young children. You don't get a break. Sometimes Sundays are the hardest days for me, trying to get the boys to church by 9:00am. Alex is the ward mission leader, so he goes to a 7:30am meeting at church. It's great for him, because he doesn't have to get the boys ready. And he is an early morning person anyway. And then trying to entertain Jared during church is not fun. Can't wait until he can go to nursery in 4 months...

Actually, I shouldn't be complaining too much - the boys took a nap at the same time today, and so I got to take a little nap as well. And it is nice to have Alex home on Sundays. But sometimes I wish I could truly have a day of rest again...

Any suggestions from those who have young children and even for those who don't, how do you make the "Sabbath a delight"?

2 comments:

Mamapierce said...

I insist on having "quiet time" on Sundays. Usually right after lunch, Anna goes to her room and reads, plays quietly or watches a religious video. I can use the time for a nap or reading my own scriptures.

Debora said...

I know this is not the answer you are looking for, but...
remember in the scriptures- "and it came to pass". (It didn't come to stay- it soon was gone.) The time will come soon enough when you'll miss this time with young children. Make the most of it. Just do the best you can and Heavenly Father will do the rest. We never know what our experiences "now" are preparing us for "later".