Saturday, October 27, 2007

Time-out for Women

Last weekend, I got to go to "Time-out for Women" in Denver, a conference with speakers and music. It was awesome! I definitely enjoyed the time away for the weekend. Kenneth Cope was the musician. I loved his songs. We loved the song about seasons of our life, beginning with summer and ending with...spring. Virginia Pearce, President Hinckley's daughter, was the hostess for the event. She was wonderful, just like her father. I could see so many similar qualities- she's got the Hinckley spunk. She talked about becoming, how our desires determine what we will become and we can educate our desires. The other speakers were excellent as well, talking about "being somebody"; measuring yourself by the Lord's standards, about finding personal solitude and counseling with the Lord and with your spouse. Pamela Hansen spoke as well. I read her book "Running with Angels" a couple months ago. She talked about the marathons in our lives and making time for ourselves. Another lady spoke about little things that can make a big difference in our homes. Clean up as you go, do today's work today, "selected neglect" sometimes (at times we have to pick and choose what we're going to skim over when we don't have time to clean everything), keeping house and not just cleaning, etc. I learned a lot and was touched by the Spirit.
Ashley, Audrey, Quin, Alison, me, and mom
(we missed Carrie! maybe we'll head out to California next time...)
me & mom
I finally met Quin, my fairly new aunt
my beautiful (single!) sisters
We got some pretty good snow Sunday morning- didn't know if
we'd be able to fly later that day, but it cleared up.

Alison and I flew together from Oklahoma. We got to the airport about 2 hours before everyone else, so we had a lot of time to waste... we didn't get our bags right away, so we surprised Audrey and Ashley by waiting right at their gate. They were happy to see us...
Hi Audrey and Ashley!
Hi mom! We really surprised our mom...she didn't know we'd be waiting for her either. We really got her good though. We hid in some phone booth-looking things until we saw her. When she headed to the bathroom after getting off the plane, we "mugged" her from behind. I think she nearly had a heart attack and the lady who saw us running towards her said she was about to "jump in and help the poor woman."
Alison and I made a sign out of paper towels and straws and colored pens- it said, "Party of 5- girls night out. No boys allowed." We were bored...
Our bags were still there waiting for us, after 2 1/2 hours.
Ah, the mountains!


2 comments:

Jessica said...

Oh, I am so jealous! What fun! I've been trying to convince my mom and sisters we need a sister trip! I'll use you guys as our example!

Mamapierce said...

I went to TOFW last month--it was amazing! Hilary Weeks was the musician. What a way to spend the day, eh?