Tuesday, April 14, 2009

all nighter?

I feel like I'm back in my college days... I pulled an all nighter to get a project done. I'm a little embarrassed that it took me until 6:00am to finish this project. But I gave away the cutest scrapbook I've ever done this morning to my institute (scripture study class) teacher. I found out last week that today would be the last class this semester. What? I thought I had a few more weeks... so I had to get something together this week. See, I knew I wanted to do something special for my teacher since they're moving. I've had him as a teacher for about 3 years now - he has been kind and brave enough to offer a class for moms. We've been able to bring our kids to class and let them run around and play while we have class. It does get a little crazy, but it works. I've gained so much from these classes.

Anyway, there's a scripture story in the Book of Mormon that talks about young warriors going into battle. Their fathers had made a covenant not to fight, but their sons had not made that promise. (People actually kept their word back then.) When they needed to defend their homes and families, the sons went into battle. In Alma 56:47 it says, "Now they never had fought, yet they did not fear death; and they did think more upon the liberty of their fathers than they did upon their lives; yea, they had been taught by their mothers, that if they did not doubt, God would deliver them." (The sons went into battle, with thoughts of courage and faith, instilled by their mothers, and not one of the young warriors was killed.) I used this scripture as my theme. My first page had this scripture on it, and the 2nd page said, "But who taught the mothers?"

Someone had to teach the mothers - I imagine their parents taught them, but they also probably had some good teachers who inspired them and strengthened their faith and testimony. The rest of the book was pictures of the moms and kids, along with a thank you note. I was a little sad to give it up - I love all these good moms too and have enjoyed getting to know them. But I did give it away and I also got all emotional when I tried to give it to our teacher. I couldn't even get a word out... thanks mom and dad for those darn emotional genes. And I guess there's some other genetics in play too. My perfectionism, mixed with a little determination (stubborness) kept me up all night working on this project... and some computer issues. I did hold my tongue though with the computer... ;)

1 comment:

Catherine said...

him thanks for me too! institute was great and really did help me through a lot!