Sunday, April 19, 2009

Choices...

So I had to make a choice today - whether to go to church or not. For some of you, you'll just think I'm shallow. Others of you might know how hard a choice this would be. I did the unthinkable - I went to church today with no make-up on and glasses. Ugh! I felt less than pretty today. If you look closely, you can see that my left eyelid is red - it has a stye, a common infection, although not contagious (like pink eye). It was a hard thing to do, since I'm used to wearing make-up most of the time and all the time to church. For those of you who don't wear make-up, this won't mean anything to you. And more power to you for not wearing it and still feeling comfortable. My fair-skinned sisters know what a difference a little bit of make-up can do (if only we had those natural dark eyelashes). Anyway, I couldn't think of a good reason why I shouldn't go to church - not being able to wear make-up is certainly not a good enough reason. And Alex spoke in church today - I didn't want to miss his talk. I also started thinking about why we go to church. We go to worship the Lord, to remember Him and His Son as we take the sacrament. It has nothing to do with how you look or trying to impress anyone. I thought about the scripture, "Come unto me." The Lord wasn't just calling to the beautiful, the confident, the well-to-do, etc. He was calling to all, and especially to the down-trodden, the poor, the meek, and the humble. I also heard a good message today in Relief Society (women's organization; 3rd hour class) about peace. We were talking about what peace is - I think one kind of peace is lack of contention, solitude, etc. (think world peace). But a more important kind of peace is inner peace, the peace that we can feel even amidst all the distractions and chaos of the world. Mothers of young children certainly have to be able to find this peace, or they might not ever have peace. The true peace within our heart can only come through Jesus Christ. I thought about that today, and I felt peace in my heart that I had made the right decision and that I didn't miss out on the messages today. And one other thought I had - it's not just me that I'm making choices for now. I have 3 little boys to think about - the choices I make ultimately affect them. At least they were cute today, as always!





3 comments:

Debora said...

Well said and WAY TO GO...to church :) We all have those less than perfect days. Hang in there, these experiences are but a small moment...

Carrie said...

You are such an example!!! You probably won't believe me, but I think you look GREAT without makeup!! I don't think you had anything to worry about, but make-up sure does make you feel a little better:)

WhiteEyebrows said...

Umm... not only were you brave enough to go, but you were also brave enough to post a photo online... that's bravery! (oh, and so is cleaning up poop)