Friday, July 2, 2010

We're here

We've been here (remember, try to be sensitive about our location in comments if you know where we are) for about a week now. Our stuff arrived on Monday, so we're still surrounded by boxes. I can't post too many pictures yet, since everything is still a mess, but here's some of the boys. They've been to the beach 4 times already, since we're about a mile away from it. This particular beach is very rocky, which the boys LOVE.




And here are some of our backyard - we moved into our rental without having seen it, so we weren't sure exactly what to expect. The ad said it had a "big backyard", which it sort-of does, but it's filled with plants and trees. When we saw it, we were disappointed, but the boys were excited about their new jungle-like yard. There's a hill along the fence, which doesn't seem good for playing, but the boys actually spend all of their time digging in the dirt on that hill. They don't need open space - they just need their diggers. There is one space that we might be able to put the trampoline, if we can figure out how to put it back together.



Our patio, which is filled with boxes right now (and the boys have lined up all the chairs).

the open space

So there's a peek at one portion of our place.

The house isn't too bad, although half of our stuff will have to go in the garage (it's much smaller than our other place - we're trying to get creative with our organizing). We spent quite a bit of time last week cleaning - it wasn't too dirty on the surface, but not up to my standards. It reminded me of a cheap motel- it's clean from a distance, but if you look closer, you don't really want to touch things. I have to know that I'm living in my own grime at least... some of it doesn't seem to get any better, since it's an old house. But at least I know it's been scrubbed. If we ever get things in place, I might post some pics of the inside, although it's nothing fancy.

We're trying to get used to the culture here and make transitions. One thing I really miss is Wal-Mart. My cheapo self has a hard time buying groceries at Albertson's and similar stores. I can't find 88 cent hotdogs... everything is a little more expensive, besides the produce. Our landlord has provided us with oranges, apricots, and avocados though. We've enjoyed those.

We did have to laugh on Sunday after we picked up Owen from nursery. For nursery, they asked if we would mind bringing snacks in every so often (families take turns bringing them). However, they said we can only bring fruits or vegetables or maybe garbanzo beans! Ha ha. I just can't imagine taking beans for nursery snacks. (Owen eats steamed broccoli well - should I take broccoli to nursery?) At least we know Owen will be getting one healthy snack a week.

Anyway, I'm sure Jo (the nursery leader) will find out about my blog soon, so I hope she doesn't get offended. She is very nice. We just aren't used to the whole healthy culture out here.

We have appreciated how friendly everyone has been towards us and the help already offered.

We have most of the initial things set up - phone, internet, bank, utilities, and such. The internet guy found a surprise in our attic, but we won't say what it was since we don't want to scare away the visitors coming soon... :) We still are shopping for a vehicle and trying to unpack everything. We're doing pretty well though. I had a doctors appointment today and everything seems fine. The boys love playing outside and with all of their "new" toys. Now, if we can just get out of these boxes and have this baby, maybe we'll start to feel normal again.

6 comments:

Carrie said...

Oh, we hear you : ) I think it took me about a year or so to get used to the high prices (although I still don't like them), but I'm still not quite over our tiny house. It's not to say that I'm not grateful to have a roof over our heads, but we only have one kid now and we always seem to be busting at the seams, and I can only imagine it will get worse with the next baby. And Mike is always shaking his head at how much the mortgage eats up. Hey, at least you guys have the best weather. We're pretty much jacket weather all year : ) But there's sooo much to do out here, and it's nice that people care more about health and nutrition out here. I get used to the fact that most people are in shape and fitness minded here, and I get a rude awakening when I go to other places. So there's pros and cons, just like everywhere. I guess it all boils down to home is where your family is : )

The Purtle's said...

Praying for you!!! I know that there will be a lot of lucky new people that will soooo enjoy your family. :) And, you definitely live in a beautiful area!!! Us "old" friends miss you, but we're happy to still get to hear from you and hang out every now and then!!!

Krista said...

I've been wondering a lot about you this past week and a half; wondering if you'd had your baby and how your move went, so it's nice to see you are moved in (even if the boxes aren't in their places yet). Your beach looks fantastic - great skipping stones! And isn't it great that kids love any place that is outdoors with dirt and/or (in our case) weeds?!

dfs said...

Glad everyone arrived OK. Good luck on your "adventure". It will soon feel like home. Hope you can keep in touch with old OK friends.
Best.

Jennifer said...

What an adventure! My boys would love that back yard too. Good luck with everything!

whitney said...

Sounds like you're settling in! My kids would be in absolute heaven in your back yard and the beach. Good luck with the rest of the transitions!