Thursday, September 30, 2010

school pictures?

I hate to complain, but this one bugs me.  Why should I buy school pictures these days?  The cheapest package is $22 and you only get two 3x5's, two wallets, 4 mini wallets, and a class photo.  A semi-decent package is $40.  And you HAVE to buy a package to purchase any additional things separate.  And the extras are $10-15 each ($10 for 8 mini wallets?  That would be at least $20 to be able to get enough for Nathan to give to his classmates.)  After you purchase a package, you can pay $20 for the digital image ($20 for the rights to one photo of my child?  I don't think so).  And they're not even very good.  I should at least get a few poses to choose from, right?  Nope.  You have to buy the ONE they took.  When did the school pictures become a money-making thing for the photographer? 

Pictures to send to the grandparents?  No problem.  I'll take some pictures and print them at Walgreen's.  I can send them 100 pictures for $10.  Wallet photos for his classmates?  No problem.  I'll bunch 4 together into a 4x6, send it to Walgreen's and get five 4x6's for 20 cents a piece or less.  The only thing I can't get is the class photo.  Oh well.  Who really needs that, right?  You get a yearbook to remember your classmates. 

I could buy the cheapest package, but once I get all the boys in school, that will really add up.  I'm not going to spend $100- $200 a year on school pictures ($200 if I buy the digitals for $20 each, which is what is necessary for my digital scrapbooking). The point is:  I don't think I'm buying school pictures this year.

Maybe I'll take the boys bowling instead...

5 comments:

Mamapierce said...

I hear you, Annie. This is a source of frustration for me as well. I would like to purchase a really nice camera and take my own, but we don't have the money to do so (yet). I bought the cheapest set this year for all kids - $14 a piece. Still more than I want to spend, but there you have it. Did you know that in some schools they now take fall AND spring school pictures????

whitney said...

That insanity! Enjoy the bowling ;)

Gardners said...

Luckily, it wasn't too expensive for us this year. We got a good package with an 8x10, 2 - 5x7s, and several of the wallets and mini wallets for only $15. Multiply by four kids and it's still $60, but they spread picture days out, so it didn't hit all at once. There have been some years we didn't order. I really liked when they used to send home the pictures and then you decided if you wanted to buy them AFTER you saw them!

Micah and Alison said...

They do free ones still here. At least last year, when I was working in the school district. I got an 8x10, 2 5x7s, and a sheet of wallets for free, then if you wanted more than that you could order it, after seeing them too. I didn't even really like the picture. Anyways, That really stinks! Sorry! I say go for the bowling too!

Coty said...

Ugh, tell me about it...I haven't bought any this year, either. What a waste of money!!! They don't even let me SEE the proofs before I purchase. I can take just as good a picture as them, and Photoshop it (I don't have photoshop, but if I did...) Anyway, I think that's 1/4 of the cost for the photoshop hardware anyway. By the time all four boys are in school, you'd be able to purchase it outright ;)

Good luck with your decision, Annie.