Thursday, September 16, 2010

smarty pants

I had to brag on Nathan a little bit.  He's a bright boy.  Tonight he was showing me the homework he had done for this week. (I think he finished it the same afternoon that he got it.)  There were some things I was supposed to help him with.  They have a list of things to choose from that they can do.  We did them all tonight, whipped right through them.  Nathan said, "I shouldn't be in school anymore.  I already learned everything in kindergarten!"  (He's in 1st grade this year.)   I think he has.  I don't know if it's just Nathan or if the schools in OK are ahead or both.  But the things he's learning are so easy for him.  When I went to back-to- school night, I almost couldn't believe what some of the parents hopes were for their child this year.  One of them said they hoped their child learned how to tie his shoes.  Hmmm... Nathan learned that at the beginning of kindergarten.  They're learning how to write their numbers right now and working on simple math.  They have to write their numbers between the lines that have dots to help them get started.  After Nathan wrote all his numbers he asked, "What are these dots on here for?"   And I was supposed to help him with 2+3=5 and 4+3=7.  Nathan can do 38+5 in his head and 23+6.  He also is great at reading.  Some of his words for this week were a, an, the, on, is, and small words like that.  I think he can read most of this post.  I guess we should keep working on more challenging things at home and he can just have fun at school?  The social aspect is good for him, although he already talks too much.  One day this week he and one of his guy friends were eating lunch with 2 of the girls.  He said some 3rd graders came and teased them about being the girls boyfriends.  Luckily Nathan still denies that he's even friends with any of the girls.  They eat lunch and play together with girls sometimes, but they're NOT friends.... what age do they start liking each other?  I can't remember what grade my 1st crush was.  Anyway, Nathan's growing up too fast.  My baby Nathan is now helping with baby Weston.

(side note:  Do you see Nathan's tan line?  He's already looking like a CA boy.)

8 comments:

Melissa said...

Oh man- he is smart. Maybe it is an OK thing, Josh says the same thing about his 1st grade- "How was school Josh?" "It was boring! I already know everything, my teacher taught me this last year" But I know he would not listen to me if I tried to teach him from home- maybe it will get better in a month after they are done reviewing stuff. He sure is a tan California boy!

Debora said...

Do everything you can at home AND keep close tabs on what they are teaching at school and what books they are using- scary stuff out there at school these days.

Sharon said...

He is growing fast....I remember when me and Craig were his nursery leaders....he's a great kid!!

hollase said...

I'm sure he is a genius. Look at his parents:) You guys aren't exactly average. But I'm also sure school is behind where he is. I have so many friends that are homeschooling its crazy. Of course down here homeschooling is basically another form of private school as the parents like to share teaching responsibilities with each other. I don't have kids yet so its not like I really know what I'm talking about, but hs sure looks more tempting after posts like this! Learning to tie shoes? In 1st grade? Aside from the age thing, when did that become the school's job? Sad.

Unknown said...

For boys it's totally different than girls. Some boys not until mid-high school. Others are pretty early - 7th or 8th grade.

Unknown said...

that was WhtieEyebrows

Anonymous said...

Growing up in CA we called that an okie tan!

Unknown said...

So can I start quizzing Nathan on 10/2 and 3*3 at Christmas?!??

He is a smarty pants - apple doesn't fall far