Thursday, May 19, 2011

creative problem solving

I don't know how it is in your home (for those with little kids), but I'm finding that my boys are constantly bickering and fighting over toys. It seems like someone is always crying or tattling about something, and lately I'm just really tired of it.  My response has been, "you work it out" or "figure out how to play together."  It doesn't work very well, but it is fun to see them try to work out their own problems.  Here are a couple of their attempts:

Nathan and Jared were fighting over a pillow at bedtime.  After unsuccessfully trying to get me to solve the problem ("You work it out boys..."), I overheard their resolution.  Nathan said, "Jared, I'll have it half of the night, and then I'll give it to you in the middle of the night."  Jared accepted that.  Good thinking Nathan...  :)

The next attempt isn't quite as funny, but it's fun to see the thought process.  Owen took Jared's toy and Jared was trying to get it back.  While they usually end up wrestling over it or hitting or flinging toys at each other, Jared was trying to bargain with Owen.  Jared said, "Give me my toy and I'll buy you a new coloring book."    Good try, but Owen didn't accept that deal.  Owen is really hard to bargain with these days.  I don't blame Nathan and Jared for getting frustrated with him.  My solution to his tantrums usually involves putting him in time-out in the closet...

Also, Owen is figuring out how to blame others for things.  When questioned about a broken toy or other mishap, Owen says, "Westie did it."  And recently, while getting ready for bedtime, Owen had pulled his diaper off and peed on the floor (while I was putting Weston to bed).  Alex got home in the middle of the bedtime chaos, saw Owen running around naked and saw the wet spot on the floor.  Alex asked, "Is this PEE on the floor?  Owen, did you pee on the floor?!"  Owen's response, "No, mama did."

7 comments:

Grandma Fay said...

When my sister and I started a squabble, our Dad would say, "Stay right there, I'm going to call the neighbors and sell tickets". It worked with girls-we didn't want to be embarrased. Boys however...?

30 year-old Dad said...

Wow. That is hilarious. i have to say, Annie, I always pegged you as having control of your bodily functions. Guess I was wrong. :)

Alison said...

Oh my goodness, what a character Owen is...I love it! :) And sneaky little Nathan and Jared, they are growin up fast...

WhiteEyebrows said...

this is great. kids learning to solve their own problems! love it.

Jeannie said...

These are gems! The bargaining skills of kids are fantastic to observe. And a time out in the closet may just be what Maddie needs since she seems to be unaffected by the regular spot these days. If the peeing on the floor continues and you need to borrow a wet-vac you can borrow ours...

Debbie said...

Great post! And Owen is too funny.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the laugh! I know it is not fun always in the trenches but worth it for such fun gems as that!