Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Ft. Smith Museum & a wild ride

We took an outing to the Fort Smith Museum of History in Arkansas.  The boys were surprisingly interested in wandering around the museum.  You never know if they'll like it or just be bored.  (I guess I'm the same way about museums!)  It's the bored and restless state that gets us in trouble.  Luckily they were neither.  They walked around very nicely and were drawn to the weapons and old cars.  Gotta love boys!  

We also had ice cream in the old soda fountain shop, which was the perfect stop after riding in the trolley in the 100 degree heat.  


The trolley ride was a little more fun than it should have been...  we were the only passengers (except for the driver's friend) at the time, which was good.  At one point in our ride, Alex and I both got the chance to drive the trolley.  I didn't really want to, but felt pressured into it.  Alex went first and jolted us to a quick start, but followed by a smooth ride and uneventful stop.  My experience was a little different.  I was careful not to jolt start us like Alex - no problem with a smooth start.  We started coasting along.  I felt like we were going too fast and attempted to slow down.  The trolley driver, who was standing right by me, waved me off and told me to just keep going. Okay...

Well, he never instructed us on how to stop the trolley, so I was just waiting for further instructions.  He finally said, "Okay, I never told you how to stop."  And I waited for him to tell me what to do.  He didn't say anything.  I guess he meant slow it down.  We were going pretty quickly for a trolley and approaching a junction.  We took the turn too fast, and it knocked the driver down.  I tried to turn the lever, but it came completely OFF!  So I was standing there holding the lever, wondering what we were going to do now and not knowing how to apply the brake.  Luckily the driver got up quickly, and I think he hit the emergency brake or something.  I was so embarrassed!  We could all laugh about it after we stopped, but that didn't make me feel any better about our wild ride.  The driver and his friend were laughing too, saying that had been the best ride of the day!

I guess I was just trying to get a little breeze going for such a hot day...?  Watch out for those pregnant trolley drivers!
  

1 comment:

Krista said...

hehehe. As I was reading it, it sounded alarming, but it's kind of like people falling: you worry that they're ok, but they sure look funny as it's happening (or maybe I'm the only one who laughs at people falling down - it's pretty pathetic, I know - I blame AFV. ;)
Glad you were safe! Plus, how many other people have ever had the opportunity to drive a trolley?