Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Christopher Columbus, boys in tights

Nathan had a biography presentation at school this week.  He had to choose someone, read about, and prepare a little speech for his class in costume.  The IN COSTUME part was my homework...  
I think the teachers were setting us up to fail on this costume thing, with no fabric store in town and only a couple week's notice.  I checked our closets first and really couldn't find much.  Next stop was the thrift stores in town.  They didn't have much of anything - no puffy shirts or vests or shiny clothes.  But I finally did end up finding this black jacket and a long brown satin skirt.  I wasn't sure what I'd do with it, but it was only $2, so I bought it.  I ended up cutting arm holes, using that fabric I cut for shoulder straps, and turning the bottom of the skirt under to shorten it.  You can see the zipper in the back is now in the front, making it look like a vest or something.  I cut the sleeves off the black jacket and sewed puffy sleeves onto a white button-up shirt.  We already had the hat, necklace, belt, black shoes, and tights.  Nathan made a cardboard telescope.  Not too bad, huh? I never imagined that my 7th grade sewing class would be so useful... that may have been my most useful class!  :)  Does he look like what you think Christopher Columbus looks like?  Maybe?  I hear that he did have red hair too.  

We did tell the other boys that they had to choose Christopher Columbus for their 3rd grade presentations too.  I'm seeing a lot more projects in the future...

Nathan's presentation was in the middle of the day, so he had to be able to get his costume on by himself.  That wouldn't have been too hard if it weren't for the TIGHTS.  Who knew it was so hard to get tights on?  I had to coach him through it.  I think it took 10 minutes for him to get them on.  I didn't realize how hard that was if you hadn't ever done that before.  (I never thought I'd be teaching my boys how to put tights on...ha ha.)  Nathan said it took him about 15 minutes to get everything on at school!  But everyone liked his costume, and he did a great job (so I hear) on his presentation. 
     


Guys, be glad that you don't have to wear dresses and tights anymore!

4 comments:

Debora said...

Looks great!!! Hey I supplied the hat :)

whitney said...

love, love, love it! I'm so impressed! I would've have ever thought of that! he just looks so great!

Jason and Lissa said...

That is quite possibly the most impressive thing I've seen you pull together...and that's saying something because I am pretty much in awe of EVERYTHING you do!

Dirk and Trish said...

That costume rocks! Impressive even without the constraints mentioned. Great job! Glad you shared :)