Sunday, April 28, 2013

Family OUT evening...

We try to do a family home evening (FHE) once a week, which is usually just a short lesson, song, prayer, activity, and treat on Monday nights.  (Many times it is a brawl that begins and ends with prayer, as I once heard it called.)  :)  

This one was a family OUT evening, and I think it was Savannah's first official hike. We went to one of the boys' favorite spots.  They call it their secret spot... so I can't tell you where it is!  (Actually, I could tell you the name of the place we went hiking, but I really don't know how to explain where the "secret spot" is...)  Anyway, the boys like it because the hike is pretty short and they get to throw rocks by a small waterfall.  



We saw lots of lizards along the way.  It's amazing how they can blend in so well with the rocks and trees.  

The boys got a kick out of listening to the frogs, although we never saw them.  We could only hear them.


And I had to include one of the things I enjoy about hiking... the wildflowers.  I love seeing all the different kinds.  Many of the wildflowers are not polished and pristine.  Some are a little withered and bent.  Some of them are really colorful and some have a more delicate hue.  Some grow in large patches and some seem to pop up in random places.  I think they're all beautiful.  I love roses and tulips and other flowers like that, but the I think the wildflowers have a simple beauty.  You sometimes don't even notice them, but as you look at them closer, they are so pretty.  Maybe they remind me of myself.  I am less of an elegant rose and more of a pretty wildflower.  And I know plenty of elegant roses and pretty wildflowers too - all simply beautiful.  
If I am lagging behind on a hike, I'm probably stopping to take a picture of the wildflowers.  

No comments: