Friday, September 19, 2008

fear of success?

I went to book club tonight. Our book was "The Alchemist" by Paulo Coelho. I liked it, although it was very simplistic. I felt like the symbolism wasn't anything new to me, since I already believe in God, the Holy Ghost, and basically that we are on a "journey" of sorts, with distractions along the way which keep us from reaching our "treasure."

One of the characters in the book said he wouldn't even attempt to fulfill his dream, because of fear of failure. He said it's better to still have the dream than to fail. One thing that I hadn't thought of was this: The question was, "Are we afraid of success?" I know many are afraid of failure, but what about success? That seems like a strange question- who would be afraid to succeed? But what comes to mind is "where much is given, much is required." With success comes responsibility. How often do we not go for a goal because we're afraid of the responsibility (and expectations to live up to) that comes with it? Are you afraid of success?

Just got me thinking...

2 comments:

Coty said...

yes. i have so many ideas that are so delightful to think about. but then comes the reality that once i reveal them, they will inevitably (sp) be tainted e.g... my love of writing, poetry and wire art. i fancy and jot down the best ideas (i think) and then can't bare to set them into motion. fear that they will become mundane, unappreciated or typical...you know, burnt out. it's ridiculous really, but so true.

Melissa said...

That is good to think about. It depends what kind of success- I am afraid to ever be famous because I know that it would be hard to live a normal life. But I don't think I would complain if I had a little more money- just don't let the press or paparazzi follow me around.