Thursday, August 5, 2010

all you need is love...


...and kids.

That's what makes us happy.






















New Years 2000 - officially engaged













About 10 years later (November 2009) at the Denver Temple

August 4, 2000 and August 4, 2010










We celebrated 10 years of marriage yesterday! I can't believe it's been 10 years already. I've been reflecting on our marriage and what we have to show for the last 10 years together. A Beatles song comes to mind... "All you need is love". We don't have a fancy car, a nice house, or fancy home furnishings. I can't think of any material possession that we've acquired that I value. What we do have is of far more value - we have a healthy relationship with one another, with loyalty and love. Our greatest accomplishment has been our kids - 4 wonderful boys. I wouldn't trade anything for them or my hard-working husband. We're blessed to have a stable income, money in the bank, and freedom from debt. And I am able to stay at home. That's a blessing. But isn't it interesting, the seasons of life? When we first got married, we had time to travel, but no money. Now we have money, but no time (and we're right in the midst of our season with young kids). Maybe one of these days, we'll go on our 1st anniversary trip... but for now, all we need is love and kids. Here's a link to more on "our story". And of course, here's a few more pictures:














Our 1st apartment together - cheap! I didn't enjoy living there (with the roaches), but I've appreciated every place we've lived since then. And we grew stronger from our struggles.











Our 1st home - 4 bed, 2 bath with a huge yard and garden - nothing fancy, but we really enjoyed living there.
















We graduated from OSU the same year, both in Arts & Sciences










We went on some roadtrips and did some hiking and backpacking early on in our marriage. We climbed Mt. of the Holy Cross in CO on our honeymoon. This picture was taken at Big Bend National Park in TX. (I'm hoping our 4 boys will get me out of future backpacking...)










Alex has been to Antarctica 3 times - not my favorite memories, but pretty "cool" for Alex.









Nathan, 2004













Jared, 2006













Owen, 2008










Weston, 2010 (our best mistake) ;)










We were fortunate to go to Australia twice (once with Nathan and the 2nd time with Nathan and Jared) and once to New Zealand, in conjunction with Alex's school/work











Alex, PhD


10 comments:

Emma said...

Happy Anniversary Annie and Alex. You guys have had some awesome adventures!

The Purtle's said...

happy anniversary!!! You guys are such an awesome couple!!! I love what you said about Alex too...he is a great guy, and he does have a charm that makes him easy to like, easy to talk to. BUT, you are also a "keeper" because of your sweet sensitivity and incredible creativity and awesome work ethic. A match made forever!!! :)

Mamapierce said...

Happy Anniversary! I remember your first place - your bed was really old and sunk down in the middle! Ha ha! :D

Debora said...

Thanks for the memories :) And looks like you have new songs now- maybe LOVE songs :) You and THE BOYS (all 5 of them) are amazing!

Melissa said...

TEN years! Congratulations and Happy Anniversary.

Alex said...

I am the one who got the best deal out of the last 10 years. Thank you Annie; you changed me for the better.

Alabama Apples said...

Happy, happy Anniversary!!

I love how you look at your life. You truly are blessed and I'm so glad life has given you such blessings!

WhiteEyebrows said...

Love it. You guys are great.

Micah and Alison said...

What a great post! Thanks for the recap of the great ten years you guys have had...Way to be such an awesome cute family...Love you guys!

Krista said...

Oh, congratulations Annie! I loved reading about everything you shared. I'm concurring with "The Purtle's" in what they had to say about you, but I have to add that you are a wonderful friend - thank you.