Tuesday, August 31, 2010

persistence

Jared is a pretty persistent boy. When he wants something, he usually gets it. This afternoon when it was almost time to get Nathan from school, Jared asked if he could ride his bike this time. It stresses me out a little bit with his riding, so I was hesistant.

I said, "Ummm...I don't know." (He could sense my hesistancy.)
Jared asked, "What does 'I don't know' mean?"
"We'll see."
"What does 'we'll see' mean?"
"Maybe."
"What does 'maybe' mean?"
"Probably."
"What does 'probably' mean?"
"Most likely."
"What does 'most likely' mean?"
"Okay..."
"What does 'okay...' mean?"
"Yes. Yes, you can ride your bike today!" (I'm thinking, "Just leave me alone...")

And off he ran to put his helmet on, so excited.

He kept asking until he got that YES answer. I love how kids this age think in black and white. They don't understand "gray" answers. They want a "yes" or "no". And if it's not the "right" answer, they keep asking "why" or "what does that mean" until they get what they want.













I know a few other persistent people as well... dogged persistence must run in the family. When you've got your mind set to do something, it will get done.













At least Nathan knows what I mean.

"Mama, can I have cereal for a snack?"
"I don't care." (knowing I will never hear the end of it)
"That means YES!"

He's the one that will keep asking and asking if the answer is "no."
"Mama, PLEASE?"
"Mama! Mama! Can I?"

No comments: